Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to pin point the problem, 2003 3.2L doesnt start at times, battely ok, turn the key car starts cranking but thats about it. Doesnt throw any codes either, is this a CSP issue.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, forgot to mention, stoped at the light today and car just died. I restarted and it fired up again like nothing happen.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,788 Posts
Yeap, it's most likely the crank shaft sensor. They are notorious of going out and causing those symptoms.

From what I hear, it's a 30 minute DYI.

KOT

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, do we have any DIY pictoral guides in FAQ?

TxBest, i know you did yours not to long ago, any advice? I got those manuals of yours is there anything about replacing that?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i dont think there is a DIY pictorial...my only advice is, put your car on jack stands the night before and then do it the next morning before you start the car. cause it is right there by the exhaust on the drivers side...it runs up to almost the top of the engine...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,788 Posts
While you are at it, why don't you do a pictural DYI? :). Just a thought. I do remember someone saying that you should tie a string to the old wires so that you could fish the new wires easier.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
It's located near the oil filter. You will need a torx socket to remove it. Tie a string, then go to the top rear of the engine and pull it through. I had to cut some zip ties to get it through. It's hard to get at the connector. The whole job took 45 min. Don't worry about routing the wire the same way, just keep it away from the exhaust.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didnt make it to the dealership on time today, will try to get the sensor tomorrow. When you say tie a string to the wires and pull them out, is this bacause there isnt enough space to hook up the wires after installing the sensor? Also, i dont have jack stands i'll probably lift with typical jacks if they can even lift high enough for me to get in and place two tires under on each side for protection. Ill do a DIY pictoral if i can.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You really don't have to run the wire through it's original track. Just connect and run the wire from the outside of the engine and use a small plastic tie(s) to keep it from contacting the exhaust components.

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
There are a lot of other wires that may be in your way, the string helps pull the new sensor down to the location. As CT said, stay away from hot items.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i tried replacing the biatch and failed miserably. Based on where its located i have no way to remove the sensor, there just isn't enough room. Plus i cant find the connector, everything is so batched together its crazy. Maybe if the car is lifted on a hoist i can get a better angle but other then that i dont know what to do. :(

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
chico where have you been?
its only 30 min labor at the shops, so if you cant lift it to chase the wire, it may be worth $ to pay the shop to do it.

·
Registered
03 Caddy CTS
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been working nights and weekends for a while, i'm considering to stop by my mechanic and let him do it.

Did you replace yours yet?

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
Well, i tried replacing the biatch and failed miserably. Based on where its located i have no way to remove the sensor, there just isn't enough room. Plus i cant find the connector, everything is so batched together its crazy. Maybe if the car is lifted on a hoist i can get a better angle but other then that i dont know what to do. :(
Mine was completely dead in my garage (I'd been having symptoms for a while before), but I couldn't get in there to replace it either. Decided it would be easier to have CAA tow it to a local garage and have them do it. Total cost (not inc. the sensor) $50. Well worth it IMO.

The garage was somewhat skeptical that it was the CPS and I think they were surprised that it started right up after they replaced it. Thanks to this forum I knew it was the problem :)

-GT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts