Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a repair center and asked them how much to replace both of my Crank postion sensors in my 1999 SLS and the guy told me $220 and it will take the whole day to do. I searched around here and found that it's about an hours job and I can get the sensors for $30 a piece off ebay. Is $220 a reasonable price or is he just trying to get over?

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
136 Posts
For the heartburn you won't get by having this shop do the job it is worth the $220.00. If he's convinced it will take the whole day I'm not sure I'd want him to do the job as both sensors can be replaced in 1-1/2 to 2 hours - remove bottom sensor, remove top sensor, replace top sensor, replace bottom sensor. One 10mm screw holds each sensor in and can be reached with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet wrench with a 10mm socket and a long extension. Don't buy cheap sensors spend a few dollars more and buy good quality brand name sensors so you won't have to do the job again next year...

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Took me longer than an hour just to unclip the electrical connector retainer on the top sensor on my 00 Deville. It's an easy job just a huge pain in the rear to get at the sensors. Finally had to pull my oil filter adapter just to get my hands up in there.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Base, 2004 Escalade AWD
275 Posts
Say both sensors would cost you around $80 - $90 w/shipping and then around $140 for labor for a 1 1/2 to 2 hour job - seems fair. Maybe the guy meant you'd need to leave the car for the day.

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll go ahead and let him order some name brand wires and let them install it.

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I had both crank sensors replaced for $230 out the door. The car stalled after 5 miles of driving and has not stalled since. I've put about 300 miles since. I guess it just had to relearn the sensors

·
Registered
SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've had both crank sensors replaced and for 650 miles the car is working fine untill today. I came to a stop at a red light and it happened again. I don't have any new codes either. I'm thinking of replacing the egr valve, I know someone with a brand new A/C Delco EGR valve for $50 so I was thinking of just replacing it. Anybody else have any idea what I should try next even though I don't have any codes.

Here a little info on my car. It's a'99 SLS with 64000 miles on it.It was leased by someone in 1999, and turned in with 19600 miles on it. After that someone bought from the dealership and traded in 3 months later. After that it was bought again and traded in to the dealership in 2007 with 60000 miles on it. From there it has been sitting in the dealership till I bought it in June 2009.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts