Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I should have stayed off of CraigsList. Cruising around CL and what pops up in front of me is a 94 Fleetwood from FL, tucked away in VT. No vinyl top, and only 91K. I called the resident B & D hoarder, CT Dave. As Dave has 14 B & D's, at last count, he's probably not the guy I should be calling asking if I should buy it. Actually I had pretty much made up my mind. Dave said look up the VI# and check if it has an "R1P" code, commercial chassis etc.. He said it probably doesn't. It did, now I'm really salivating.

Gave it a good look over, body and interior in very good shape. Engine ran good. Drove it home, no issues. Did notice a bearing noise coming from the rear, not that big of a deal. Needs a few trinkets, but plenty of potential.

Tom

Here she is.

·
Registered
Cadillac
468 Posts
What was the difference for the "commercial chassis" cars? Heavy duty radiator and additional cooling for trans and power steering?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the difference for the "commercial chassis" cars? Heavy duty radiator and additional cooling for trans and power steering?
That's pretty much it, I believe it is a heavier frame, suspension, 4 air shocks and a heavy duty rear end.

Tom

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,000 Posts
There's something familiar about your new acquisition . . . other than leather instead of velour, and '94 instead of '93, it sure looks like what followed me home a couple of weeks ago . . . (there I was, driving cars at Mecum and minding my own business, when I drove it to pre-staging . . .)

yum.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dochawk that's a nice looking Caddy. Actually, I prefer the cloth to leather. When the opportunity arises, and the price is right, there's no time for dilly dallying.

Tom

·
Registered
224 Posts
Limos had different wheels for the heaver 7200 lb GVW with larger wheel studs & lug nuts.
The Aluminum wheels are marked behind the center cap "LIMO ONLY".
The brakes are a different style, larger, & didn't come in ABS.
No ABS so it probibly never have traction control.

The problem with owning a comercial chassis is many of the chassis parts are different.
Brake calipers, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, radiator, rims, wheel studs, lug nuts, springs, & differential are for sure different.
Would bet also steering knuckles, steering box, condensor, master cylinder, are different and some other things.

Looking for new or used parts you still have options unless it's a comercial chassis.
Depending on cross use some parts may be very hard to get now or in the future.
Such as a differential or wheel.

Just seen a 95 hearse yeaterday.

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,000 Posts
Thanks dochawk that's a nice looking Caddy. Actually, I prefer the cloth to leather.

They are beautiful.

I had thought that the non-Brougham Fleetwood was only in 1993, but clearly not . . .

And given the frequency with which we wear shorts in the Las Vegas summer, having a caddy without leather is kind of nice . . .

When the opportunity arises, and the price is right, there's no time for dilly dallying.
I think I actually overpaid . . . but I had been looking for a non-white 94 to 96 (or a non-white DHS) for over a year and a half, and finally caved :)

It's not that the white isn't beautiful, but I already have two white caddies . . .

·
Registered
Cadillac
468 Posts
Limos had different wheels for the heaver 7200 lb GVW with larger wheel studs & lug nuts.
The Aluminum wheels are marked behind the center cap "LIMO ONLY".
The brakes are a different style, larger, & didn't come in ABS.
No ABS so it probibly never have traction control.

The problem with owning a comercial chassis is many of the chassis parts are different.
Brake calipers, rotors, pads, drums, shoes, hardware, radiator, rims, wheel studs, lug nuts, springs, & differential are for sure different.
Would bet also steering knuckles, steering box, condensor, master cylinder, are different and some other things.

Looking for new or used parts you still have options unless it's a comercial chassis.
Depending on cross use some parts may be very hard to get now or in the future.
Such as a differential or wheel.

Just seen a 95 hearse yeaterday.
Good stuff and thank you for the detail! Guess when owning one that it's best to ask the parts stores for 3500 Suburban parts ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Building the limos Cadillac it's hard to say what parts bins they sorced things from except from cross reference.

Like the 1995 J55 brake rotors fit 71-75 Chevy Belair, 81-86 Chevy C10 1/2 ton Subarban, 71-74 Chevy C-10 1/2 ton P/U, 81-95 Chevy G20 3/4 ton van. Besides downsizing for weight & cost it was used less because it didn't support front ABS.

The Surbans had rear leaf springs where the Fleetwoods were coil.
Look for 95 Fleetwood coil springs. Only found 2 manufactures with 1 choice each for front & back.
The springs covered about half of GM's full size cars for the last 50 years.
In another words it would phicicaly fit but probibly not close to factory spring rate.

The 95 comercial chassis radiator is the same core size 30-1/2 x 17-1/4 x 1-1/4 as every other Fleetwood.
Except it doesn't have the intergrated oil cooler. Instead the oil cooler is seperate.
Same as the Caprice 9C1 police intercepters. Fit years 94-96.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood Brougham
10 Posts
Hey Tom! I'm actually responding you your post on the official white wall thread but felt it was more appropriate to do so here because it isn't about the tires. First of all-great car. You mentioned, "I bought it in October, good body and engine. I figured it would take me till the end of the summer to do the little things that it needed and go over it head to toe." So, what needs to be done and what have you done?

I'm curious since I've been going through a similar situation. I got mine from someone that let it sit for several months and it didn't run at the time I acquired it. I'd expressed interest in buying it two years ago and the owner didn't want to sell at the time. She called me the weekend after Thanksgiving and offered it to me for $1-she even used her AAA membership to have it towed to my house. She said she wanted it to go to someone who appreciated it and had kept my information until then. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and was able to figure out quickly that the reason it didn't run was due to the fuel pump which I replaced along with the sending unit and fuel filter. I've been busy since then going over the car and bringing it back to a standard I'm satisfied with-lots of fun when it isn't your daily driver! I've completed a full brake job (rotors, pads, calipers, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and fluid flush), front wheel bearings, serpentine belt, tension pulley, alternator, changed oil, differential fluid and battery. I'm half way done with replacing/lubricating the window regulator guide clips. I also had to find replacements for the left side rear view mirror and the right side tail lamp housing as they'd been bumped at some time. I've had my replacement pieces painted white and was not happy at all with their attempt at a color match even though I gave them the GM color code and the original parts that were being replaced. I've told the shop that did the work that I was very disappointed and they've agreed to give it another try. I plan on taking the entire car over to them to aid with the color match. That's been the most disappointing aspect of this car so far. A real shame because the quality of the paint job was excellent. I'm not expecting a perfect color match but something close can't be too much to ask.

I just got it registered today and will hopefully take it out for the first time very soon as long as the roads stay nice and dry.

-Adam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts