Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 Fleetwood

From what I've read, I believe my car has composite fenders. While mucking about with the power antenna, I discovered some cracks in my paint. What can I do that is not terribly obvious to put over it to keep it from cracking worse for the time being? I may have actually have been the problem - I may have flexed the fender too much. At that point, I didn't know they were composite. Anyways, I just want to do something as a stop-gap measure. I was thinking maybe brushing a tiny amount of clear nail polish on it? Just wondering if anyone else has done anything as a stop-gap measure like this.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
If the paint is cracking, it's probably not factory. I believe it is cracking because it is shrinking. I'm not body man, but I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
If the paint is crack chances are the fenders will follow. My 92 sdv has had this issue. I drilled out the cracks with v notches and used a fiberglass resin and fiberglass mat to repair. Sanded primed painted clear coated. I still need to sand more and do a thin filler layer of bindi to fill some small air bubbles and then reprime paint and clear coat. But that can wait for another day.

There's a thread on here where I posted pics of the steps and stuff. First time I used bondo to fill and that didn't work out. Use fiberglass resin and get your paint code and order some rattle cans of matched paint.

Cheaper and easier than replacing the fenders all together but depending on you bank accounts and motivation you could find some replacement fenders, shoot em and hang em. Which would be ideal

----------

Again, my fender cracks started with an oh, there's a small line in the paint. Then it was, oh, that line is cracking. To uhoh!!!!

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a thread on here where I posted pics of the steps and stuff. First time I used bondo to fill and that didn't work out. Use fiberglass resin and get your paint code and order some rattle cans of matched paint.
I came across that and read it recently. I thought you cataloged your experience pretty well. My cracks are still very small, and right around the wheel arch one the passenger-side fender. I haven't noticed anything else yet.

I can't say for certain, but I believe my car was mostly garaged during its life. It was a funeral car until about nine months ago, and they are usually garaged, or at very least, parked under a car-port. The paint is in great shape except for that small area, and a small line of rust on the back door just below the vinyl (a place where almost every hearse eventually rusts.) So I don't know if it really is severe panel shrinkage, or if I just flexed it too hard when screwing around with the power antenna. I hate power antennas, so I was gonna unplug it while in full mast position. That way it would be stuck like that instead of getting stuck at half-mast when it dies one day.

I just wanted to put something clear over the paint to keep the cracked paint from chipping off, and letting water underneath, until one day the car needs a repaint or other body work, For now, thankfully, that time seems to be far off. But you never know what tomorrow brings.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,274 Posts
1992 Fleetwood

From what I've read, I believe my car has composite fenders. While mucking about with the power antenna, I discovered some cracks in my paint. What can I do that is not terribly obvious to put over it to keep it from cracking worse for the time being? I may have actually have been the problem - I may have flexed the fender too much. At that point, I didn't know they were composite. Anyways, I just want to do something as a stop-gap measure. I was thinking maybe brushing a tiny amount of clear nail polish on it? Just wondering if anyone else has done anything as a stop-gap measure like this.
=======================
What can I do that is not terribly obvious to put over it to keep it from cracking worse
the short answer is - nothing -

there is a special flex agent added to paint -
when painting plastic/rubber surfaces -

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
I'm glad you liked it =)

Maybe some kind of transparent/clear plasti-dip?

Not sure if they make it but if they don't, they should.

Can you post some pics??

It's hard to suggest without seeing. If there's rust I'd sand it off clean it, prime and paint and clear coat. I'd try to remove as much Rust as possible. I don't have suggestions for if you can see that there's rust under the vinyl top =\

----------

(Do like 10 coats of the clear plasti dip?)

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
You need to determine if it's the paint that's cracked or the fender. Those fenders are bad for cracking and there's not much you can do to stop it from getting worse.
Those fenders don't need any special paint, they aren't meant to be flexible which is why they tend to crack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts