Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Deville with 85,000 miles. The problem is the arm rest on the drivers side is starting to split around the power seat controls. The split is really small but is starting to increase in size :(. On the side of the armrest their seems to be a area that has already been repaired. I have noticed that other Devilles (85-93) have the same problem, is their anyway to prevent this cracking/splitting? Does anyone know how to repair the splits/cracks?

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
This is such a common problem with the years of Caddys you mentioned, that I'm surprised GM hasn't addressed it - remember the armrest and door handles on the Camaros from the late 70s and thru the 80s and how they regularly separated from the door? Another GM chronic issue.

I go SO frustrated with the cracking of the vinyl on my front armrests of the 1988 SDV (and went postal when I discovered that GM only had the replacements in black - you had to dye them to match the rest of your car) that I went out and found a cloth swatch that was a perfect match for the rest of the cloth in the interior. Then I had an upholstery shop cover over the offending sub-standard material - now I tell people that I have the ULTRA RARE option from GM that dictated a factory colour-matched fabric on those things - you wouldn't believe the number of people that fall for that line,,,,,,,

Seriously though, it DID fix the problem permanently and it does look a Hell of alot better than the creeping chasm of ripped vinyl - if you don't fix it poste-haste, it will continue to self destruct with additonal cracks appearing around all the stress points of the armrest.

·
Registered
61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,93 ETC
75 Posts
J C Whitney's latest catalog lists replacement armrests for your car.I think they are around $30 each and they have to be dyed to match the interior.I think they are hard plastic so they will never crack but also not as comfortable as the factory padded ones. I feel your pain, both my 89 and 90 have cracked armrests and I might try the aforementioned ones when I get around to it.

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I had the same problem in my 93 Deville. A friend who owns a body shop took some adhesive and glued the armrest to the door in strategic locations. Now, the crack isn't noticeable and hasn't grown and looks great.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack
49 Posts
SilverFleetwood85 said:
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 1992 Cadillac Deville with 85,000 miles. The problem is the arm rest on the drivers side is starting to split around the power seat controls. The split is really small but is starting to increase in size :(. On the side of the armrest their seems to be a area that has already been repaired. I have noticed that other Devilles (85-93) have the same problem, is their anyway to prevent this cracking/splitting? Does anyone know how to repair the splits/cracks?
Harbor Freight, $5. Get a tube of the Performix brand VLP Vinyl/Leather Repair. A tube of airplane glue smelling stuff that will fill small cracks by melting the vinyl together and dries transparent. A little goes a long way, and while not as neat as a replacement arm rest, it's cheap, easy, more flexible than the vinyl to begin with, and prevents further damage. I fixed my roof leaks, my arm rests, and 2 water beds and still have 3/4 of a tube left.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the advice. Today I noticed a crack appearing along the top part of the armrest behind the power seat controls. It seems like it will never end, these cracks will continue to appear :mad:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go to local salvage yard and buy the whole armrest for about ten bucks. The armrest cracks because the plastic piece under the "leather" and padding is beginning to give due to age and weight of components. Then get an armrest cap that covers the one you bought. The armrest cap is a vinyl piece that covers the armrest entirely. Cost like 50 or 60 bucks. Get vinyl paint that matches yours(or close) from auto parts store. Paint, reinstall, smiley face.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I have an 1" long crack on the side of my driver's side armrest..I've learned to live with it, its usual and it's not cheap to fix it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts