Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC,1992 Cadillac Seville Base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving work today and my front windshield is cracked end to end along the bottom around the vin number... It was fine yesterday and I know nothing hit it on the way to work this morning.. Surely it wasn't the mild so. cal weather? I wonder if it is a stress crack or somthing of the sort, anybody else experiance a random break like this?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
Leaving work today and my front windshield is cracked end to end along the bottom around the vin number... It was fine yesterday and I know nothing hit it on the way to work this morning.. Surely it wasn't the mild so. cal weather? I wonder if it is a stress crack or something of the sort, anybody else experience a random break like this?
When I bought my Seville in 05, during the test drive, the salesman and I noticed a very similar windshield crack at the passenger side lower corner, working its way toward the driver's side. The dealership (Safelite, actually) replaced the windshield and there have been no problems with either glass, leaks, equipment function. The replacement is PPG Canadian glass.

That glass is heat treated - one tiny nick in the edge will start a crack similar to our experiences.

·
Registered
1992 Eldorado
200 Posts
I got plinked by a small stone on the Jersey Parkway south years ago. It was one of dozens of times. I arrived at my destination and went inside planning on giving it a good look when I came back out and making arrangements for a repair if there was need . I came out about 4 hours later and there was a 2 foot crack in my windshield.

·
Registered
2005 Deville Limited Edition
225 Posts
If you have comprehensive insurance, get the glass replaced, it should not cost you much. When I had mine replaced I only had to pay the deductable, and that was $100.00.

I think the glass + fitting would have come to over $350.00 easy, but I did not get the bill, just had to pay the deductable.

Been a year or more now and all has been well, no leaks of any kind.

·
Registered
2000 Cadillac Eldorado ETC,1992 Cadillac Seville Base
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I figured this windshield repair would be more expensive than the typical due to the rain sensor and such that needs to be re-installed on new windshield... Because the crack is down in the bottom tint and can hardley be seen I may live with it for a while, or until I get a fix-it ticket...

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,497 Posts
I had my rear windshield completely shatter itself earlier this year. I opened the front door and started the car, opened the rear door to grab my scrapper and when I shut it the back window literally exploded everywhere. Thank god for comp insurance and zero deductible glass coverage, so I wasn't that upset....I was told by the glass shop that replaced it that even the tiniest imperfection or weak spot can cause breakage due to pressure levels and/or climate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts