Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming home from Illinios driving through Michigan on Monday. Had a nice little vacation / wedding. Drove my car down there and was amazed by the drive of my CTS (my first Caddy)

As I'am driving through Michigan something hit my windshield. Didnt see anything or any visble marks. Next day I get up do a few errands locally and get home before noon. At 1 P.M I go out to my car and theres a 5 inch crack in my windshield from drivers in towards the middle. I am pissed the car is a month old.

I called the dealership and told them what happened. They said it was $746 for the windshield and $160 to put it in. Go there and they show me where a stone had hit it. They told me the heat had cracked it. They then come back to me and tell me that they could install one for $507.99 plus taxes. I said OK. They wanted me to leave my car. I asked if the windshield was genuine GM,... They said not really but wouldnt affect the value of the car when it was returned (cars on a lease)

I asked if my warranty covered a car while mine was there overnight. First they said no then after me insisting they said OK.

There is an AVIS in the dealership and they offer me a Grand prix as the free rental. I said an Grand Prix from a Cadillac they said the best they could give me is Lucerne. I said Ok, then they told me it would be an additional $10.00 per day. By this time I am kinda pissed off so I said OK. By the way the Lucerne isnt a nice car. Rides nice but cheap inside.

Long story short I get there the next day and the rental cost me $65.00 and the windshield was replaced. I am not real happy about the whole deal.

Anyone have any similar experiences ? Dealership was a Toronto dealer

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have returned Porshes, Infinities, BMWs, etc after a lease. Third party inspectors typically do look at the windshield. On an expensive car like those, they will nail you for a factory windshield unless inspector fails to notice.

On a CTS, ???

Suggestions: Get service writer to sign something indicating that he told you that an aftermarket will not affect car's value when you turn it in. Then walk with him and paper to srvc mgr office for him to sign. If they refuse, then find owner of dealership. Wait, before you do that, call GM and someone like BMW asking them for phone number of inspector company. Those inspection companies are real reluctant to return calls, indicating that they are busy inspecting cars. Worth a try. Then proceed to Caddy dealer armed with info.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
sorry -- we currently have a loaner..a Monte Carlo.. apparently, the dealership had all their rentals out & all they had left was the "in-store"/dealership Enterprise. They only had a G5 & a Monte Carlo ... (when we were leaving, we accidently found out they had another car in addition to the MC & G5 available.. but w/e). Should have the caddy back on monday.

sucks that this happened... and um ?congrats on the wedding?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cracked glass is, unfortunately, pretty common. Isn't your car insured? That would have taken care of the cost (less any deductable). Glass replacement is so common that dealers usually outsource it to a glass company. Typically these companies will come to you and do it on site. My last windshield replacement was done in my office parking lot. It only took about an hour and no rental was necessary - and insurance picked up most of the cost.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These guys said they are the guys who inspect cars coming back from leases and it wasnt going to be an issue. And after questioning them the impressionI got was that if it wasnt done at the dealership there maybe a problem. I wonder if that wil change 38 months down the road ?

I have returned Porshes, Infinities, BMWs, etc after a lease. Third party inspectors typically do look at the windshield. On an expensive car like those, they will nail you for a factory windshield unless inspector fails to notice.
I increased my deductible to $1000 when I leased the car.

and insurance picked up most of the cost.

Wasnt me that got married. I am still trying to untie the knot I tied (around my throat) in 1992...LOL

?congrats on the wedding?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
Glass that has cracked due to impact by object is not considered a warranty item. This is standard for any manufacturer. Since the repair was not a warranty repair, why would you expect a loaner car under your warranty?

Double check your insurance policy. My policy covers glass damage like this under the comprehensive coverage (not collision). Your comprehensive coverage may have a different deductible (mine is $200, while my collision is $500).

I'm currently in the process of having the windshield replaced on my Corvette under my insurance coverage. I insisted on OEM replacement and they agreed.

:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts