Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
None at the current time, but looking
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was frosty Massachusetts. I started the car and turned on the front and rear defrosters. I scraped the ice from the windshield, (no chopping, only scraping). Once inside the car I waited a few more minutes before I left and I heard a pop from what I thought was the rear window. It turned out to be the windshield; it cracked in a half moon shape on the passenger side about 8 inches up.

My car has the rain-sense wipers and I also have the remote start antenna attached to the windshield. I was wondering what people thoughts are; should i have the dealer do the work or should I just trust on of the local glass companies to do it. I would probably go to Settles Glass or Giant Glass. I’ve used JN Phillip before for a full size Ford Bronco but it leaked and they made a mess with the sealant.

BTW, insurance will cover the work.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
Ive had pretty good luck with Safelite Auto Glass. Though my rainsenser does not work anymore. But they changed my glass twice. And the 2nd time it took the guy like 3 hrs and 3 windshields before it was done. I think and glass company is capable of doing this. I believe you can also watch them too. Might want to check Safelite's website and see if there's one around you. They will even drive to your work and you take a lunch and they will change it in the parking lot. Pretty nice!
Good Luck!

MacK

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If they don't know what they are doing, the wipers will never work right again.
They make a "repair kit" to remove and reinstall the sensor. It's available from a dealer. Some morons just put glue on it and stick it back onto the window, this ruins the sensor obviously.

Most dealers sublet the work to a glass company anyway.
You might even get the dealer to tell you who the glass company they use is.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
MacKiNBacK said:
Ive had pretty good luck with Safelite Auto Glass. Though my rainsenser does not work anymore. But they changed my glass twice. Good Luck!
MacK
LOL!!! I'd call that bad luck...
If the installer uses other than OEM adhesive for the rain-sense module it will not work. Your best chance that this happens is at the dealer. Though I have read that even some dealers have screwed this up too...
IMO the only way to guarantee this happened is to buy the tube of OEM glue and watch the installer use it...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
BTW, insurance will cover the work.

If insurance will cover it I'd take it to the dealer. From what I understand, re-attaching the rainsense module requires a special adhesive that you get from the dealer. They're more apt to do it right.

Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do not have anyone attempt to replace the RainSense with out the proper adhesive strip that is made for it. The part number is 25645365 , about $50, and is is available at almost all GM dealers. It contains cleaner, two adhesive strips, a plastic "fixture" to properly place the strip onto the RainSense unit, and full IMPORTANT instructions.
Remove the RainSense yourself to prevent some hack going at it with a box cutter. With a hair dryer and someone operating it from the outside of the window, heat the glass enough to be able to lightly wiggle the unit loose free from the window. You will see the adhesive strip probably still attached to the unit. The strip has two voids cut into it where these openings allow the "eyes" to detect light refraction when water sheets over it. Thats why there is a fixture to place the new strip in the correct position as to not block these eyes.
Now detatch the lead to it and get it somewhere safe to remove the strip from the unit. Then clean the unit of any remaining adhesive, and DO NOT SCRATCH the plastic EYES, you'll see what I mean. Do not put the new strip on until you are ready to install it back on.
When you are ready to install the unit be sure to put the unit into the sweep area of the passenger side wiper, just to the right of the rearview mirror about 1 1/2 inch, and put it out of view of the driver directly behind the rearview mirror. Be sure to place it so that you have the correct wire placement, that's important too.
They give you two strips so that if you mess one up, there is another. Or, if you need to replace it again from another break. Do not treat this thing light hearted or you will loose your ability to regulate the wiper speed other than low or high, and you don't want that, trust me.
When ready stick it back up there, get comfortable in your position, have the window marked for the position, because once you stick it, it's a done freaking deal man. It will have to be taken off with all that crap again, know what I mean.
lry99eldo

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
i took a stone (ironcally from some idiot in a Deville that cut the into traffic before the merge point) to my windsheild which cracked it, had the windshield replaced by my insurance company they sent a guy out and it cost me 250 bucks. my rainsensor works fine to this day

·
Registered
None at the current time, but looking
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Cracked Windshield with Rain Sense wipers.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, as usual this forum is a wealth of information and opinions.

I called 1 dealer and they farm work out to a local shop but I didn’t get a good vibe after talking to them. I asked if they have ever worked on a car with rain sense and he was almost sure they have. Plus “it should be like any other windshield that has something attached to it”.

Another dealer will call me back today to setup an appointment. The only drawback is they only do the work on the road and not on their shop. Would a mobile unit be able to heat the glass to facilitate removing the sensor?

Since it’s not that critical of a break or a hazard I might hold off until after the winter, (let this windshield that the winter beating). This might be better since I’m also thinking of adding an aftermarket sunroof. At least the crack is low enough that even if the passenger airbag is deployed is won’t make a difference in the safety of the passenger.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...

I think you should go ahead and replace the windshield.
The crack compromises its integrity and can have a serious adverse effect on all passengers
in the event of a collision.
I just replaced mine because of a similar crack.
$200 and I've got a crystal clear view through a solid windshield.
Ahh, Life is Good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts