Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81, 87 and 95 Fleetwoods, 89 Brougham
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, one cracked on drivers side. car sounds like crap and is running a little rich. in tired of the noise! So, i want to drop in headers. Its major bucks to spend on REAL headers .
my questions;

Can i use plain shorty headers for a truck or car with a 350?
If that works, ill have to weld in an O2 bung or the original pipe with attached sensor.
It visually looks like some cheaper shortys will fit nicely and the O2 sensor i can place right under the collector with old pipe. I mean honestly, i can buy another Cadillac for the price of headers $450-1200!

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Noé

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,695 Posts
Yes, you can use regular ol' SBC headers on an LT1. You don't need fancy Tri-Ys like all the Impala SS guys try to tell you.

Get some longtubes and have some fun :D Summit has a set that's about a buck twenty.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
You'll have to check fitment, but the 93-96 Fleetwood is close kin to the 73-77 A/G Body (Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/Cutlass/Grand AM/Chevelle/Malibu) as well as the 78-92 Caprice/Impala/Parisienne/Bonneville RWD (not A Body)/Century/Special/Regal. So there should be plenty of versions that fit. Even the F-Body ones shouldn't be far off.

Headers can be a real pain, doesn't take much to ruin your day on them. I generally won't screw with them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed:)

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9001-9/none/images
Yes to these? I'm almost ready to get them. also, engine might come out for the installation .
a bolt or two are broken in the head. while there I'm going to replace gaskets and rear main seal. If by chance i sell some of my car junk, ill have enough for good spark plugs and wires.
Any other recommendations? I'm leaning towards a set of shorty headers more than the coooool longtubes. my concern is the O2 sensor being way down the exhaust stream and sending funny signals.
thanks csbuckn, thanks 'roo and N0DIH also a thanks.

cheers
Noé

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,695 Posts
My buddy is running those on his '93 wagon and loves 'em.

Do the D-body cars have the frame braces on the corners that go through the control arms? I can take a photo of mine in the morning to show you what I'm talking about, since my engine and trans are out of my wagon. :D

If so - you will have to remove them for those headers, but they fit just fine otherwise IIRC. You might have to do some fiddling with AC lines and such on an LT1 car though.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please feel free to add pictures and links! i do see that brace on drivers side....
for now, i need to sell stuff and stack up money for all the parts i will need.
Whats up with those afterburners??? Are they the ones for G-bodys??
Hows that paint holding up? I DO NOT want to remove the brace, just maybe modify it out of necessity.:)

Cheers,
Noé

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Visually, the flowtechs look like they tuck nice. also, it looks like i have a bit more room for the starter. This is a bit tough. the summit longtubes i found are at $250 coated. Painted flowtechs are $213......
Kevin, if you had no issues with your headers, i might go your route.

Thanks dudes,

Noé

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts
No matter what you go with, get them coated. My coated headers on my SS have been on there for over ten years, and still look the same. Underhood temps are much cooler than with manifolds.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
I'm not sure if my afterburners have coating issues or I need to clean them every once in a while or what. It's all minor rust.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts
They're probably coated, with a lower-end coating. Otherwise, the entire tube would rust. Really good/expensive coatings don't rust. I had mine done with Ceramakrome at our local high-tech coating place, and that stuff is amazing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevin, looks like those headers belong there. whatever i purchase , they will be dipped or baked. also, i found these hooker brand shortys. 2466HKR
Fits On: 64-73 Chevrolet Chevelle 300 Deluxe, 300, Base, Concours Estate, Concours, Deluxe, Greenbrier, Malibu, Nomad, Ss, 64-87 Chevrolet El Camino Base, Classic, Custom, 67-81 Chevrolet Camaro Base, Lt, Z28, 68 Chevrolet Chevy Ii Nova, 69-79 Chevrolet Nova Base, Concours, Custom, 70-87 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Base, Ss, 71-72 Chevrolet Biscayne Base, 71-72 Chevrolet Brookwood Base, 71-72 Chevrolet Kingswood Base, Estate, 71-72 Chevrolet Townsman Base, 71-75 Chevrolet Bel Air Base, 71-77 Gmc Sprint Base, Custom, 71-94 Chevrolet Caprice Base, Classic Brougham, Classic Ls, Classic Ltz, Classic, Estate, Ls, 71-94 Chevrolet Impala Base, Custom, Ss, 78-80 Buick Regal Base, Limited, 78-87 Gmc Caballero Base, 80-82 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser Base, Brougham

They're about $180 and supposedly fit full size GM barges. I'm tempted to get those andhave those hit-temp coated locally. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Get some quotes on coating. You might find that it's actually cheaper to just buy a set of coated headers.

That's the case, it seems, with my swap.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Also, way late, but here are photos of the braces I mentioned:

Honestly, any effect they have (which is doubtful...) is probably negligible. Mine will be leaving when I do my longtube headers :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on install. i used 2466HKR shorties. they are painted for now. had to install these as it is snowing outside and fumes get in the cabin thru HVAC system. The Cadillac is quiet at cruise RPMs but does have a rumble. AC lines are to be dealt with next summer. I took a pic of my s10 blazers ac compressor and lines. i think i can make them work on the Cadillac . I like the sharp bends it employs. hmm..

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag454/noev678/Brownie/CAM00217_zps1c0yxsxj.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag454/noev678/Brownie/CAM00220_zpsugjr2gcx.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag454/noev678/Brownie/CAM00219_zpsstkxgy7f.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag454/noev678/Brownie/CAM00215_zpsdanti3fm.jpg
the headers were painted with ace brand bbq paint. it stuck ok. they will get ceramic coated for $100 locally in a while.
overall, they dropped in easily. starter was left in place. Wiring was wrapped with hitemp tape. Burns on them were because of spark plug wires forgotten there on them. Alternator brackets fit. no wires had to be extended. i also used heddman reducers with o2 bungs. so, for $600 even, i have headers, future coating, mufflers and exhaust work done. Not sure about MPGs yet.

Cheers,
Noé

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
You have a local place that will do ceramic coating for $100?

Holy crap. I need that hookup. Sigh.

Nice job.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe
18 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone else experiment with headers since? Would love to hear experiences.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts