Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is a duplicate. I also posted this on the CTS-V forum as they had some previous discussions.

SO..... the weld didn't hold up on the test drive. I am currently fighting with the shop owner, (who I like and have had work done there before) about why his weld tech removed so much material and I can plainly see the crack pattern before they put it back together. He is now looking for a replacement subframe. Any and all help from this forum is greatly appreciated. Mainly, is there an aftermarket subframe available for the 3.6L?
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Silver Tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Rim

· Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
8,590 Posts
I wouldn't trust that guy to weld anything....
Did they even bother to weld from other side and there looks to be little penetration also.
Not a good idea to weld something under alot of stress like that.
That would have taken a decent amount of heat and an experienced tig welder to fix, i bet they used a torch and fix it rods.

· Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; Audi RS6 Avant; '16 ATS-V Sedan gone; '10 CTS LongRoof gone
20,904 Posts
I don't see any penetration at all. In this situation you have to grind into the material so your weld can actually 'penetrate' (thanks to the pre-grind gap) and tie the material together. You have to use plenty of heat, too. It may take more than one pass as well. My company does this stuff everyday.

· Registered
08 CTS DI
3,398 Posts
I wouldn't trust that guy to weld anything....
Did they even bother to weld from other side and there looks to be little penetration also.
Not a good idea to weld something under alot of stress like that.
That would have taken a decent amount of heat and an experienced tig welder to fix, i bet they used a torch and fix it rods.
Yeah, either both sides, or "U" groove the weld joint so that it fills through to the inside. Welding aluminum is easy, not. Welding any automotive grade aluminum is anything goes, as they don't often say much about the grade in use. I would have welded it, ground it and welded on an additional plate for reinforcement. The bolt is easily long enough.

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That one is for the AWD. My tough luck. P/N 20911365 for the RWD. $2076 after tax and only one available in the US. ($1600+shipping+tax) Shop found a used one for $250. I'm going to inspect it first to check for cracks.

· Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI, 2014 CTS VSport
3,323 Posts
The control arm mounting tab is not suitable for welding - even by a pro. Too much stress and lack of control of heat treatment won't yield a reliable result for a safety-critical location.

· Registered
99 ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
1,413 Posts
That one is for the AWD. My tough luck. P/N 20911365 for the RWD. $2076 after tax and only one available in the US. ($1600+shipping+tax) Shop found a used one for $250. I'm going to inspect it first to check for cracks.
Yes, I would check very well looking on internet I seen two other cradles that owners had cracks in same place right where they machined the flat area for bolt. Looks the mill that machined the corner probably needed larger radius on mill sometimes Sharpe corner cause's an area that can crack (stress place in fixture).
Good luck with your search.

· Registered
3,323 Posts

· Registered
2004 SRX, 2012 CTS Wagon
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called and it's in a national database. It's actually located at a dealership in Tennessee. I put it in my cart but could not complete the sale. My local dealership here in Grapevine, Texas told me it would be $2600 after tax and they would order it from Tennessee. The shop called me today and located a used one for $250. I'm going tomorrow to check it out.

· Registered
3,323 Posts
I called and it's in a national database. It's actually located at a dealership in Tennessee. I put it in my cart but could not complete the sale. My local dealership here in Grapevine, Texas told me it would be $2600 after tax and they would order it from Tennessee. The shop called me today and located a used one for $250. I'm going tomorrow to check it out.
Yeah, I didn't think the dealer really had it sitting on the shelf. Shipping a part that large will hurt, even if they would really sell it for the advertised price. This is a part where good used condition is just fine, hope you score one.

· Super Moderator
2011 SRX4 3.0 4WD, Luxury
4,676 Posts
If it were me i would have the joints/welds magnafluxed? this will be a spendy repair......

1 - 20 of 65 Posts