Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1991 Cadillac Eldorado with black leather seats and interior. The leather on the driver's arm rests is cracked and worn through at the elbow position. It looks like hell. One arm rest is on the driver-side door and the other is on top of the center console.

I checked the Cadillac price for a new panel for the upper part of the door. It was over $800 - and the price list was several years old. In the same price list the passenger-side door was less that half that ! (The two upper door-panels are mirror images of each other.)

I got a quote of $450 for re-covering the upper door panel with black vinyl. No sale.

Later I was in Kragen's auto-supply store and saw some sheepskin wash mits. BONG ! I was struck by a brain wave. I bought a mit for $3.99. It is made of one piece of furry artificial sheepskin with an elastic cuff. I unstiched the mit to get a piece of sheepskin about 11" x 15". I will cut this to size and glue one piece over each of the crappy arm-rests. For balance, I'll put a piece on the passenger arm rest too, though it doesn't need it.

Any suggestions on the type of glue to use?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Youll be able to get it recovered much cheaper than that....... Take it to a trim shop and they'll put new leather on it......... And it will look better than putting sheepskin on it........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
Youll be able to get it recovered much cheaper than that....... Take it to a trim shop and they'll put new leather on it......... And it will look better than putting sheepskin on it........
OK, Elwesso, I'll try that. The $450 was an online quote, it was quicker than going to local shops.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I wouldnt think it would cost more than $100 at a decent trim shop...... its not very big, and if you wish, you can use vinyl to save costs (instead of leather)........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
elwesso