Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001Seville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 SeVille 137K, with a small hairline crack in bottom of block under the water pump area. I am looking for feedback on trying the leak sealers, specifically the K & W Brand. Since Northstars have no radiator cap what is the best way to get the sealer product into the block area? I understand the need to first remove all coolant....any thoughts on the most productive way to remove coolant also needed. I think the crack is too large for the pellet type sealers. I have seen some threads refer to heli-arcing but at present I don't know anyone that does that. I've kept this car to be my teenage son's first ride and don't have the cash for a new block. Thanks in advance for thoughts and info.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
74,053 Posts
A crack - any crack - in an aluminum block is not good. I am not a fan of block sealers or stopgap measures, and quite frankly have had little luck heli-arcing cast aluminum - it is a bitch to "weld".

Jake up at Northstar Performance (head studs) is an experienced Northstar builder - perhaps he will chime in. Several other Seville/CF members have done block repairs - you may have to wait until this evening to get a satisfactory response.

BTW - Welcome Aboard !!! ---- :thumbsup: (Heck of a way to get your feet wet - no pun intended.)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,305 Posts
:welcome:

Like Sub, I'm not a snake oil fan and really doubt it will be a permanent repair.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,305 Posts
:welcome:

Like Sub, I'm not a snake oil fan and really doubt it will be a permanent repair.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Welcome aboard sorry to hear you got a crack in the block did you have head gasket failure at all or did the block just crack for some reason
mine cracked after the head gaskets where repaired
just had to have it rebuilt
and then i found out the hard wqay that i ruined my heater core
i am going to join the club of not recommending any sealants because you will see they might for for a week then stop and say well i still need more money and time so dump another r bottle in it works for a week and keep doing that till you get the cash to repair it properly with a new block
well you end up with what i had a clogged heater core due to the copper in all the block sealands like bars stop leak and crap like that

if it comes down to the fact that sealant will not help are you going to opt for a used engine
are you going to buy a new engine or are you going to go the rebuild road with a new block or used block
tell ya Jake here 97EldoETC he has some brand new blocks for our northstars you can probably get a block shiped and find a good mechanic in your area to rebuild the engine for around 3200 if you don't want to use studs and about 3700 -3800 if you do want to use studs as longs as you don't need any other parts
id recommend going with the studs and rebuilding the engine with a new block

sorry for all your trouble i know this thread was just on sealant but i had to say it
there are a few of us who have gone threw the block crack and its not a happy time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts