Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CPO levels of coverage?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jakerin 
#1 ·
Does a CPO warranty have different levels of coverage? A dealer service person told us this and I haven't heard of such a thing before.

#3 ·
I recently purchased a 2019 XT5 CPO. I believe the terms of the CPO may have varied over different model years and/or may be different for a Cadillac versus a Chevrolet/Buick/GMC, but I'm not sure.

For my 2019 XT5, the CPO warranty kicks in after the new vehicle "Bumper-to-Bumper" warranty expires (i.e., at 4 years from the original new vehicle In-Service Date) and adds two more years of a more limited warranty (and up to 100,000 miles). There is also a $50 deductible per repair visit and you have keep up the maintenance care and service requirements. The CPO warranty has a lot of exclusion - (I'm repeating here right from the front of the Cadillac CPO warranty booklet): "Warranty exclusions include, but are not limited to body and interior/exterior trim components, maintenance and wear items such as adjustments, batteries, brake pads and rotors, clutch discs, drive belts, engine tune-ups, hoses, tires, wiper blades, or any service or part required to be performed or replaced as recommended by the GM maintenance schedule". A little deeper in the booklet gets into a little more detail of non-covered items, such as most suspension components (shocks/struts, mounts, bearings, bushings, control arms, ball joints, etc.). And of course the warranty gets voided for damage due to accidents, misuse or alterations.

Flip side, a lot is covered for items that can get expensive to repair. Overall seems like pretty good/reasonable coverage and not a bad way to buy an automobile. Of course when buying a CPO vehicle, knowing that original In-Service Date is important, because that is when the clock was started for this net 6 years of coverage (4 bumper-to-bumper + 2 CPO). On my purchase, the vehicle had been in-service for only about 9 months.

#4 ·
Definitely seems like the salesman assured us that the CPO warranty on my purchase was an extension of the original warranty, though more limited, just as you have described. No indication of there being a high level, mid level, low level coverage or anything like what the service person indicated to us. But he used that to say there was a repair that he couldn't do under CPO warranty because of differing levels of coverage.

#5 ·
There was definitely no discussion about different levels of CPO warranties when I purchased mine. If you google Cadillac CPO warranty and/or look on the Cadillac website, they only describe some pretty high level of what the CPO warranty covers. They gave me the extra booklet on the CPO warranty when I purchased the vehicle, filled in with effective dates (it was a relatively thin one the same size as the other manuals, so it kind of gets lost in with the other stuff :)), I couldn't find the level of detail the CPO warranty booklet contains anywhere on-line like you can for the owners manuals.

The salesman might have been mixing up the CPO warranty with some of the extended warranties/paint sealants/protection packages they always try to sell you right when you are doing the final paperwork.

#7 ·
Whatever warranty you have should be in writing, specifically detailing what is covered and for how long. If it’s not in writing regardless of what any dealer tells you, it won’t be covered. I read an extended warranty once that covered timing ‘belts’ but didn’t cover timing ‘chains’. See the difference? The dealer sure did and chains weren’t covered. You cannot go on what anyone tells you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.