Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a few questions about my 1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC I inherited from my father after his passing. This was dad's baby, so therefore I wanna make sure it stays pristine like he left it. It has 80k miles and is in great shape. It's never had a tune-up or fuel filter replacement so I’m sure it’s long overdue for one correct? Also what’s with the service ride control message that keeps appearing? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,262 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

Even the original AC Delco 41-950 Platinum spark plugs are good for at least 100,000. Most probable cause for any ignition troubles are the 4 coils, the ICM, and the plug wires. Use the expensive AC Delco set of wires from Rock Auto. Clean the coils, their bases, and the ICM plate and make sure the ICM ground cable is in place and terminals are clean and tight. Plug wires must be on the correct coil tower for each plug - the waste spark system is finicky that way.

The fuel filters are large and also are not usually a problem. BUT they can be a real remove/install job due to corrosion and ageing of the fuel line connectors.

Ride control messages come from the monitored suspension (SCARY expensive) parts and systems.

The car has a built-in diagnostic code (rudimentary before 1996) scanner. Use the correct section (OBD1) of the sticky thread "How to pull codes".

You are going to NEED - absolutely guaranteed - the online GM/Cadillac service manuals. Subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - a multi year deal. The Haynes and Chilton's manuals are way too generic for useful info. Read all the stickies in the Seville/Eldorado and Engines; Northstar forums.

GM discontinued the use of the coolant supplement tablets in 2006. Used improperly - to excess - they clog small passages, heater cores, and the purge line, causing engine overheating.

Northstar Waste Spark Ignition System.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
With modern computer controlled engines, the "tune-up" should not be necessary if correct maintenance (fluids and filters) is done accordingly to manufacturer's specifications. Look at the service history if you have it.

Service ride control means a suspension problem. First, let a corner of the car bounce with your hands then let it go. It should get back without bouncing. If it bounces the shock absorber is dead. Also listen to the self levelling suspension compressor, if it pumps too often the rear self-levelling suspension may be dead too.

The suspension of your car may be an adaptive one. Replacement shocks are prohibitively expensive when available. You may have to switch to regular ones with a trick to fool the car's computer. This depends on the car's year and I don't know it precisely.

Nice to keep the family's car, keep on the good work!

·
Administrator
67,262 Posts
No problem - there are several Northstar freaks in here. All good info.

Here's some more homework - but remember the coolant supplement tablet discontinuance thing ........... The Archive was written by a CF member who was a GM Northstar System powertrain engineer. Gospel.

You probably want to run a synthetic or blend "high mileage" 10W-30 oil. It contains a bit more anti-scuff additives to protect the flat tappet cam followers.

·
Administrator
67,262 Posts
joelc - His 4.6 Northstar is radically different from your earlier 4.9 - the vehicle in question uses a waste spark ignition with spark plug wires system and it does require regular maintenance and "tune up".

The owner can use his diagnostic system to get to the source of the suspension message. His suspension IS "adaptive" - it's the early CVRSS (Constantly Variable Road Sensing Suspension) and the struts cost around $550 apiece and the shocks are about $350 apiece. The car also uses the GM ELC (Electronic Level Control) to compensate for weight changes in the trunk or rear seat. Struts in front, shocks in the rear. If he needs to go passive we have all the tricks and workarounds.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are great! Much appreciated. I’m not much of a mechanic so I’m looking for a reputable one in my area. I know a caddy dealership here in town could do it but man they are high priced!

·
Administrator
67,262 Posts
Find a good local Mom & Pop shop. Dealerships will kill you on labor and full retail parts pricing.

If you have a basic set of tools (most Cadillac threaded fasteners are metric) go ahead and get your hands dirty.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another question. My father was running Amsoil 10w30 with a Wix filter. Is that sufficient for this northstar motor? Also I got quoted today for around $550 for plugs,wires, coils, and a fuel filter. Does that sound on par? Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
67,262 Posts
AMSOIL makes some rather fine lubricants. If you are a hard driver, track the car, and want to bear the freight, go for it. But any name brand "high mileage" engine oil in the correct viscosity range will be just fine. The "high mileage" oils have the additive package necessary to protect the flat tappet cam followers. I happen to like the WIX line of filters, too.

$550 for a dealership job on the "tune up" is in the ballpark. Somewhat less at a qualified local Mom & Pop shop. Use the expensive AC Delco plug wire set from Rock Auto. The engine takes the AC Delco 41-950 platinum plugs.

Did you read Post #2, Post #5, and the links ?????? If not, you're flying blind.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes sir. Thanks. It’s from a pretty reputable shop a few towns over. The caddy dealership wanted around $750😬. I was definitely gonna have whom ever looks at it inspect the shocks and struts. It doesn’t really ride rough but it doesn’t have that caddy smooth ride like I used to remember.

·
Administrator
67,262 Posts
A "performance" ETC, STS, or (Deville) DTS will NOT have a "Cadillac ride". Our cars use active, stiff suspension systems with stiffer "sport" springs.

Thank heaven. I hate mushmobiles. Was raised on MG, Austin Healey, Jaguar.

How far are you from Palatine, IL? Joe Blau runs Midwest Cadillac Repair up there - one hell of a fine shop, especially for Northstar work.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm down near St. Louis, Mo. How many coils are on this caddy? They told me they might not need replaced. I thought you'd replace all that with a tune up.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,615 Posts
Why are you replacing the coils?
This is not usually done , unless one (or more) are bad.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harry someone told me that was standard with a tune up. I didn't think it was. I do have to say that it made me unsure though. It has a bit of a rough idle on start up. So if any are bad hopefully it's only 1.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,615 Posts
The last thing (well, maybe not the last) I'd suspect of an INITIAL rough idle is a coil.

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Harry. Hopefully they can get it figured out. I love the car as it is still in very good shape for being a 95 model. My father was very proud of this car. I appreciate your input. 👍🏻

·
1995 ETC
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn’t find anything except it said S013 current, and S018 current. Then to finish up it said S026 history, S044 history.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts