Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just joined the forum and I am waiting to take possession of my '04 CTS 3.6L. I am purchasing through my company fleet sale (18K miles), just over $20K.

I have a couple of questions. I have looked at many of the threads but I am still unsure on a couple of things....

My unit has the standard factory radio (CD/AM/FM)
a) Is that a decent unit? Are after market upgrades possible?

b) Is adding the Bose system easy for a pro? and worth the $/hassle?

c) I would very much like to add the NAV system. Is it worth the pain and $$ from the folks that have them? If I go to Caddy what would a new unit cost installed? I have considered going the Ebay route but it seems risky although that may be the solution. Is the NAV overall worth the investment?

Thanks for the help and information, I appreciate everyones time and experiance. Regards Brian

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also have an 04 with the base unit...and in the 2 years of ownership sound or NAV. I think it is a pretty decent unit. I have had people ask me if the sound in my car is stock....

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,650 Posts
My gf has an 03 w/the base stereo and hates it. I've adjusted it every which way and have to agree -it's one of the worst Cadillac stereo systems I've ever heard. My car has the Bose w/Nav and both of us are fine w/the sound, but you'll hear plenty of V owners who aren't. But there isn't any comparison between a Bose and base system. You can sit in a showroom and decide for yourself. It's all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. As for ease of installing a Bose to a non-Bose car, it's do-able, but probably not worth the expense. For the same amount of money you can have a nice aftermarket system installed. There are lots of threads here that name some good speakers to install as a start. Used Nav units on eBay run around $700-1000. New units are considerably more, but carry a warranty. Horror stories abound w/used Nav units so be warned.
CC

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
First of congratulations on getting the CTS.....and also congrats for scoring a great price. I got my '04 a couple months ago with 25k mi, and it was considerably more.

I have the base stereo, and while it's not super great,,,,it does the job ok for me. I may eventually upgrade the speakers and see what that does. I don't drive enough out of my area to warrant the NAV. In my case, I would have preferred the sport or luxury group with the extras they come with.

Anyway, it;s a great car as is, and one that can be upgraded fairly easily to meet the owners desires.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the regular head unit is ok as long as a stock look is what you prefer(I do) . Upgrading the speakers is a better and cheaper way to go instead of the Bose.Approx $600-$700 will get you plug and play tweeters, all four doors and the sub (as long as you install - don't worry its not difficult), this will upgrade your system as best you can do with out adding amps(your stock unit is low/low on power). A 5 channel amp would add another $300 (again you install). Stop here if you can, however add about $150 in dynamat sound proofing(especially if your not into trunk rattle. Add another $200 for better hook ups to all including a digital capacator(to insure good power delivery to system). This is were I'm at as a do-it yourselfer. I don't see at this point an advantage going to a new head unit and loosing the functions that I have with the current stock head unit, not to mention spending $400 or more for little biddy buttons and complex controls.
This is just my humble opinion, as I'm wanting great sound not competition set-up or mine's louder then your's thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts