Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On occasion, when in sport mode (which is where it normally is) transmission shifts to 2nd. Won't shift out until I leave sport mode. Anyone else experiencing this, and any suggestions as to possible cause?

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2008 CTS4 (50,000 miles). In Sport Mode and usually when cornering, the transmission will stay in second gear until I either shift manually or put it back into Normal Mode. I've tried letting up on the throttle, holding the throttle steady, and more/full throttle with no luck getting it to shift on its own.

Just recently, after making a slow-speed left turn at a traffic light and still in sport mode about a mile from home), the car went into limp mode with the check engine light on. I parked it until I had time to look at it closer. I drove it around the block the next day. The transmission worked fine, but the check engine light was still on. I used a code reader -- codes 0700 and 0796...both transmission related. While I haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet, the check engine light turned off after 4 ignition cycles (didn't get the same errors in the next four run cycles).

I have no idea if the limp mode issues are related to it not shifting out of second gear in sport mode or not, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had this stuff happen before I take it to the dealer two or three times just to hear them say they can't find or replicate the problem.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,821 Posts
Are you saying you put car in sport mode all the time you start out and then dont shift manually?

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts
It's normal, the algorithm in sport mode (automatic) shifting assumes that you punched it, are slowing for a curve, and are about to accelerate hard again. This has been discussed many times on this forum. Nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
101 Posts
In my opinion, what you're describing as a problem is actually a good thing. I mean, what do you expect from sport mode? Standard TCU tuning sucks, I know. But the tranny sitting at 4k while taking a turn is awesome. The power is there as soon as you need it, instead of waiting for a downshift/respool to get going out of a turn. My suggestion: keep the shift knob to the left lol.

Fyi, even after trifecta tuning my CTS coupe, it still does exactly what you're describing.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Am I missing something? In sport mode the trans stays in the current gear until you manually shift it or the ecm realizes you are about to blow up your transmission. That's the way sport mode works on my car. Now, if I'm in auto mode and use the paddles to up shift or down shift, it will revert to full auto mode if another gear change isn't made within a few seconds.

·
Registered
2009 Cadillac CTS4
394 Posts
C "T" ess, Sport auto-mode in my 09 has a scenario where it holds one of the gears for an extended period of time...I'm guessing 2nd gear but my 09 does not display the gears when in sport-auto like the '10+ CTSs do.

Example 1: In normal-auto, punch it to 45 and let off the gas. As you let off, the transmission shifts into a higher gear and the rpms idle down.
Example 2: In sport-auto, punch it to 45 and let off. The car holds 2nd gear, does not shift into a higher gear. The engine continues to rev high, and the revs slowly come down as the car coasts down. (It responds exactly as if you had accelerated to 2nd gear / 45mph in a true manual transmission vehicle, let off the gas but kept the transmission in 2nd gear.) 4-5 seconds later the car shifts into a higher gear and the rpms idle down. The only way to get the car to shift sooner than the 4-5 second delay is to either throwing it in manual mode to manually shift, or put it back in normal-auto.

Example 2 doesn't always happen in sport mode. I feel like the car's computers take a lot of inputs in before deciding to hold the gear as described above. More often, my car's sport-auto shifts like normal-auto..it doesn't hold the gear when letting off the gas.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
2 Posts
-------

Am I missing something? In sport mode the trans stays in the current gear until you manually shift it or the ecm realizes you are about to blow up your transmission. That's the way sport mode works on my car. Now, if I'm in auto mode and use the paddles to up shift or down shift, it will revert to full auto mode if another gear change isn't made within a few seconds.
----------

Thanks.

----------

I sincerely appreciate the replies from everyone.

I run the car in all three modes - normal, Sport, and manual (Driver Controlled Shifting). On the 2008 (and maybe 2009), moving the shifter to the right puts the transmission in "Sport" mode (not manual shift/DCS). Moving the shifting forward or back while in Sport mode puts it into DCS/manual shift mode. Unlike the later years, the gear number isn't shown in the 2008 display in Sport mode, but is when I shift it manually is DCS mode. In Sport mode, it shifts itself like normal but the shifting points occur at a higher RPM, it downshifts sooner on its own, and it shifts a little firmer. For me, it's better than normal mode when I don't feel the need to shift manually. I use the DCS mode to put when I'm a little more serious about controlling the car's performance (after driving a 475hp/5-speed supercharged Mustang for the past 8 years, I know what I'm looking for with manual shifting).

I'll have to find the previous times this topic was covered in the forum, 'cause it still seems kind of odd to me. It should let the transmission shift out of second gear when I come out of the corner if I accelerate out of the corner...sometimes it does...sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't matter if I hold the throttle steady, give it a little more, mat it, or let up...doesn't matter how long I do any of these things, it doesn't come out of second on it's own in this mode. It's not that big of deal now that I know to be ready to upshift manually as soon as I know it's not going to do in on its own.

I'm relieved that it seems to be something "normal" from the group. It's more of a curiosity at this point. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
'14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, 2017 XT5 AWD
1,415 Posts
This is the laziest transmission I've ever driven. It's never in the right gear unless you push hard on the gas, and then you wait for it to slap down. My SRX has none of these problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts