Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Script emblem install

Found a pair of OEM script emblems for my coupe. Old emblems desroyed. Unsure product to use mounting the script type emblem. Double-sided tape will show though. The letters are 1/8" wide. Cutting that 3M double-sided tape to that size would be tough. Did GM use a type of black adhesive like a glue? That is what I removed from the pair I bought. It sure wasn't tape.
If photos appear: one shows script intalled on a similar car and the other shows what I have. (nope did not appear?)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,288 Posts
Re: Script emblem install

Found a pair of OEM script emblems for my coupe. Old emblems desroyed. Unsure product to use mounting the script type emblem. Double-sided tape will show though. The letters are 1/8" wide. Cutting that 3M double-sided tape to that size would be tough. Did GM use a type of black adhesive like a glue? That is what I removed from the pair I bought. It sure wasn't tape.
If photos appear: one shows script intalled on a similar car and the other shows what I have. (nope did not appear?)
--------------------
the OEM emblems use 3M double sided tape -
die-cut to match the emblem -

Cutting that 3M double-sided tape to that size would be tough.
not to mention time consuming using an exacto knife -
but that's better than glue -

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yeah, the glue is messy and more or less permanent. Put the tape on the back of the emblem, and spend the time cutting with an Exact-O knife.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They make emblem glue just for that, just make sure they are where you want them. They wont come off.
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/body-trim-adhesive/3m-tube-plastic-emblem-and-trim-adhesive/316901_0_0/
Thanks for the response. Yes, i've seen that product. Problem with it is that it is a solvent which means it 'eats' into the paint/clearcoat. The pair I bought were removed from the wreck and whatever adhesive GM used did not damage the paint. Just a shadow line was left from sun-fade/dirt. That stuff is what I'm hoping to find.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts

:yeah: Just did it on the "Road Runner" script on the deck lid. Trimming it is not hard with an Exacto knife and it AIN'T coming off.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts

Very true.^^^^ I used emblem glue to put a over sized penny on the the trunk lid of a '81 Lincoln Mark VI...Where ever it is I'm sure that penny is still stuck on it..lol.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut the 3M tape to fit this script? Recently I used the tape to mount 2 crests & 2 wreaths to my sail panels. That was difficult! I don't know if that tape can be exactoed into 1/16" and remain sane in doing so.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Lol. I've done it before. One "Cadillac" and one "Seville". Several crests. A couple "Oldsmobile"'s. 2 "Custom Cruiser"'s.

The thin 3M tape and change to a new blade often. Do it while sitting down watching TV or listen to some music.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Yeah, that's doable. It's gonna take some time and patience, but the end result will be worth it.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
Lol. I've done it before. One "Cadillac" and one "Seville". Several crests. A couple "Oldsmobile"'s. 2 "Custom Cruiser"'s. The thin 3M tape and change to a new blade often. Do it while sitting down watching TV or listen to some music.
Good advice about the background sound.

Did you trace the outline into the tape then cut?

I'm getting ready to do this to my rear "Cadillac" script

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Nope. Stuck it firmly to the emblem, leave the red backing on, and cut the excess off in place.

I actually find it works better holding the emblem in hand, rather than placing it on a flat surface and cutting. Using a little sawing motion helps in some areas. If you start having to push hard or feel like the backing is going to bunch up, switch blades.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
MoistCabbage said:
Nope. Stuck it firmly to the emblem, leave the red backing on, and cut the excess off in place. I actually find it works better holding the emblem in hand, rather than placing it on a flat surface and cutting. Using a little sawing motion helps in some areas. If you start having to push hard or feel like the backing is going to bunch up, switch blades.
Right on! Thanks for the tips

1 - 14 of 14 Posts