Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '14 CTS, with only 2500 miles. I filled the tank last night at a sheetz, that has plenty of business. This morning in cold/wet weather, I left for work as normal, about 1/4 mile down the road, I noticed the car sputtered a bit when I tried to accelerate from a stop sign. It eventually stalled. Started back up, but while idling, it stalled again. Started it up and with lite acceleration made it home. Just didnt have any oomph. Got home in garage, left it running and rev'd it up and smelled gas. Stopped, open the hood, washer fluid cap was off, put it on and started it up with hood open. Seemed better. Ran it for a while, no more smell of gasoline. Rev'd it and it never stalled again. Took it out for a slow ride around neighhborhood, and it seems ok. Called my dealer, they said its bad gasoline and to add octane booster.

Does that sound logical? Bad gasoline? Would octane booster help? Could it be water in the fuel line, that maybe burned itself off, thus making it seem better after it ran?

Its only been 3+ months with this car. Would hate for it to be something more that adding a $5 bottle of additive.

Any ideas???

thanks!

·
Registered
2014 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks!
Should I also add any octane boost or cleaner to the gasoline? I took it for a slow ride for about 1/2 mile, and it still seems to be stagnant when I try to accelerate, but no stalling.

·
Registered
2014 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will run it down to near empty. Dealer said the gas stations change out tanks this time of year, and could get some old stuff. He has had 5-6 people have same issue, and when they filled up the next time it was good again.

·
Registered
2014 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been starting it and letting it run in garage. Since this morning no problems. Dealer said to use octane boost when i called back. So i did, added it to a full tank. Should at least rule out the bad gas theory. I bought water removal too. Will keep it with me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
94 Posts
My '14 had the exact same problem. I bought gas exclusively from Costco (Premium Top tier), so I knew it was always fresh. The only times mine stalled was after a fillup, sometimes a day later, always sputtered and stalled at red lights. Had it towed a couple of times, but it happened probably once/month. The dealer never could figure out the problem. Cadillac repurchased my '14 because of that issue (and the inability to fix power steering that kept going out). They replaced it with a '16 last week. Dealer finally found the problem with the '14 when they had to put gas in it, given I returned the car with DTE less than 50 miles.

Service manager insisted it was bad gas. I didn't get that much bad gas from a Top Tier rated gasoline. So, he just didn't dig deep enough to rectify the problem.

The service manager was finally able to tell me after 6 months, GM Engineering said it was a "sending unit" that misreads vacuum related fuel delivery. Don't know the part(s) they replaced, but it has nothing to do with bad gas. Ask them to contact the service HQ for a fix. They know about the problem.

·
Registered
CTS 2014
36 Posts
Sometimes when you try to squeeze to much fuel into the system it can play havoc with the emissions system. When the fuel filler clicks off don't try and put more in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts