Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings;

I've got a slow leak that Firestone thinks is from the water pump. I hate going to the dealer unless I have no other choice and I can't replace it myself. Can most mechanics fix this? If it ends up at the dealer, what could I expect to pay for the gasket or whatever it takes to stop the leak, assuming it's coming from the water pump? I go through about a cup of 50/50 antifreeze every other week but never see any leaks on the ground so I'm pretty sure it's still a minor leak. The temp never runs too high, around 196 or 197 on the freeway - up to 222 in bumper to bumper traffic.

Thanks in advance,

Stu

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
Stu:
I'm not a mechanic, but water pumps are commonly replaced and most mechanics should be able to do this.
Depending on how old the water pump is, I would be tempted to replace the pump (and gasket).
Not certain on the cost of a water pump or gasket, but its not very high. The labor will be the big factor.

Anyway, I would get a second opinion on that leak before replacing the water pump and/or gasket.

-jasper

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-I'll talk with my regular mechanic. It's funny-he owns a gorgeous 03 DHS and runs a garage but doesn't work on Caddy's much.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
The Northstar needs a special socket to remove the water pump. It is actually easier than most, though the dealer may tell you it is difficult to justify a high bill. Be sure it is the pump shaft seal that is leaking and not the $10 cover gasket.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ranger. Would you take this issue to a private mechanic or would you have the dealer do it?

·
Registered
2000 Sedan Deville, 85 ElCamino
136 Posts
Go to the parts store or Wally world and get 2 tubes of Bars Leaks gold powder. Dump the powder in the radiator, not in the overflow jug. This stuff WILL fix your leak. What I'm told is it's the same ingredients that GM puts in the system at the factory

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,998 Posts
Thanks Ranger. Would you take this issue to a private mechanic or would you have the dealer do it?
Any mechanic should be able to do it. It is one of the easiest water pumps to change.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to the parts store or Wally world and get 2 tubes of Bars Leaks gold powder. Dump the powder in the radiator, not in the overflow jug. This stuff WILL fix your leak. What I'm told is it's the same ingredients that GM puts in the system at the factory
I've used the GM tabs and they didn't work at all. Here's a stupid question,? how to access the radiator directly? Is it under the shield?

·
Registered
2000 Sedan Deville, 85 ElCamino
136 Posts
I did this quite a while back, but if I remember right, you have to remove the shield and undo the upper radiator hose at the radiator and pour the stuff in the hose. You should be able to find the procedure by searching this site. That's how I found out about the Bars Leaks. Saved me a bunch of time and $$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts