Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Deville...replace all the spark plugs, replace fuel filter & pcv valve, clean intake manifold, labor....all for $350...seems reasonable i guess?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
2002 Deville...replace all the spark plugs, replace fuel filter & pcv valve, clean intake manifold, labor....all for $350...seems reasonable i guess?
Why do you feel you need a "tune up"? Is this a Cadillac dealer service department recommendation? It certainly is not recommended service from the Owner's Manual.

Spark plugs certainly IF your plugs have been in service for 100,000 miles.

Fuel filter? Are you seeing symptoms of fuel starvation at high engine RPM?

PCV valve? Your engine quite likely does not use a valve to control PCV air flow.

Clean intake manifold. Could that be clean "throttle body"?? Are you having idle speed control problems?? This is a 25,000 mile service item.

Tune up terminology is left over from the days of breaker point distibutors, leaded gasoline, and carburetors that typically needed attention every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. No more. Modern engine control systems and unleaded gasoline have made a tune up obsolete.

It's your car and your $350, but I urge you to read and understand the scheduled maintenance section of your Owner's Manual (starts on pg. 6-1).

·
Registered
1992 deville & 1990 brougham
12 Posts
If I could add my 2 cents worth, I love my cadillac's because they do not need a tune-up. Not in the last 20 years. I would recommend that you take a minute (literally) and listen to you what your car tells you. You can do this by turning the radio and climate control system off and enjoy a ride without any noise. While traveling during this minute, the car will make some noises to let you know if something needs immediate attention or possible future attention. Some indicators are a little harder starting, noises from the engine compartment or from any other part of the car.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.