Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
709 Posts
Yes fitting the motor is possible its actually no problem. You need to get the mounts from the newer brougham 90-92 with the chevy 5.0 or 5.7 motor. The tougher part is wiring it up. If you get the lt1 you need to get the engine harness and the ecm with it too. you would also have to change your fuel pump, the tbi pump won't enough pressure. I think painless wiring makes a harness to retrofit that motor into older cars. That would be your best bet. The tranny is different also but they do make dual bolt pattern 200r4 or you can get a 700r4 or even get the tranny that came with the lt1, i forgot the number. The starter is on the other side of the motor, so you will need to swap the battery to the other side or run a longer battery cable. The battery would be better on the other side because then you will have room for an air box. There are alot of other little things that can be taken care of with some time to figure out. Good luck let me know if your going to go through with it. I did a swap in my 85, but I used an oldsmobile rocket 350 out of a '70 cutlass. that coulb be another route to look at and its a little easier.
I got everything to work a/c, cruise, p/s, and even my fuel data panel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just choose the LT1 out of the air because i though it would work. Im just looking for an engine that I could swap in there because the HT4100 isnt fast enough for me nor customizable =P . WHat other alternitives would I have ? Would a chevy 350 fit ? or do you know of something else that would work. Im looking in to the cutlass engine right now. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
709 Posts
you can definately do a chevy 350 motor. I just don't know how deep your pockets are. A 350 chevy motor with a carburator is probably the best way to go only because chevy parts are so readily available and cheap. An lt1 and a chevy 350 are basically the same blocks. An olds 350 motor are a bit harder to come by and they are more expensive to rebuild, but it will bolt right up to your tranny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FASSTWOOD said:
you can definately do a chevy 350 motor. I just don't know how deep your pockets are. A 350 chevy motor with a carburator is probably the best way to go only because chevy parts are so readily available and cheap. An lt1 and a chevy 350 are basically the same blocks. An olds 350 motor are a bit harder to come by and they are more expensive to rebuild, but it will bolt right up to your tranny.

I have a 1983 Chevy Van at home with a working 350 and Tranny. I just need to replace the starter because it went out and buy a new computer for it. The computer system went out on it and everytime we need to start the car it had to have manual power ran the distributer and the starter. I am still looking for the oldsmobile rocket 350 I think ill visit a few junkyards tommorow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I'm about to put an Olds 307 into my 85. Bought it off a guy on ebay. It's a remanufactured motor from GM, with 5000 miles and a factory warranty. I'm also getting another 200-4r with it, already bolted to the motor, along with all the accessories(alternator, PS pump, etc), all for $1000. I know you all say its gutless, but my buddy has one in his 82 Delta 88, and it beats civics, which is all I'm really looking for. I hear all you have to do is get heads and cam from an earlier version of the 307, and you get alot of power back. He also says that Olds blocks have more nickel in them than Chevy blocks, making them stronger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
FASSTWOOD said:
I did a swap in my 85, but I used an oldsmobile rocket 350 out of a '70 cutlass. that coulb be another route to look at and its a little easier.
I got everything to work a/c, cruise, p/s, and even my fuel data panel.
What did you do to get your fuel data panel to work? I've been pondering how to get all the electronics to jive with the 307..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i have run into a problem, The 350 ( or 305 I dont know) has had the computer removed. I dont think this is going to be a problem because Ill just buy another ECM and replace the wiring. But Fastwood could you explain a little more about the engine swap ? Im not understanding why you have to swap computers and which wires need to be re wired and all that. Im thinking about trying to find a Rocket 350, Olds 307 or the CHevy 350 to swap in.
 

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
709 Posts
Mogul345 said:
What did you do to get your fuel data panel to work? I've been pondering how to get all the electronics to jive with the 307..

I used a vacuum advance distributor(from a 82 delta 88), but i used the ignition module from a newer distrbutor I think it was 86 cutlass with a 307 all my brackets and pulleys were from a 85 cutlass setup and i used a a/c manifold hose from a 86 fleetwood brougham with a 307
 

·
Registered
'76 FW Brougham d'Elegance (R.I.P.), '75 SDV (57k,2nd owner)
Joined
·
21 Posts
Such an old thread but honestly you all should be putting a CADILLAC powerplant into your caddies. Chevys are overrated. I would advise NOT to go with an LT1. I had two previous cars with that engine and it was a PITA with malfunctions. Caddy 472/500 bone would smoke any LT1 including the "300 hp vette version". Besides caddies got all the LOW END TORQUE u need to get the big body moving.
 

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
Joined
·
4,246 Posts
If you're doing the swap for a daily driver then an LT1 is way better choice than a 472/500 for the fuel economy alone. I'm in the process of swapping one into my 87 right now.
 

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
Miklo II said:
Such an old thread but honestly you all should be putting a CADILLAC powerplant into your caddies. Chevys are overrated. I would advise NOT to go with an LT1. I had two previous cars with that engine and it was a PITA with malfunctions. Caddy 472/500 bone would smoke any LT1 including the "300 hp vette version". Besides caddies got all the LOW END TORQUE u need to get the big body moving.
Troll.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top