Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got all my parts together and I'm gonna throw it all together this weekend. Only two years in the making.
- Yellow Grand Sort or Z06 calipers (Cadillac logo)
- StopTech stainless steel brake lines
- Baer rotors
- Aluminum adapter brackets
- Hawk pads

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,459 Posts
What are you using for brackets? What's gonna be the overall cost?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you using for brackets? What's gonna be the overall cost?
The brackets were made by this guy names Rudy over on another forum. From what I understand he doesn't make them anymore but these could be copied and machined by any decent shop.
So the approximate costs were as follows:
- calipers $1100.00
- SS brakelines $150.00
- Baer rotors $950.00
- brackets $300.00 made by Rudy on Silverado forum I beleive
- pads $200.00

Total $2700.00

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,459 Posts
Nice! I have spoken with Rudy, but its been quite some time now. Congrats on the set up

·
Registered
2013 Escalade ESV
69 Posts
Oh no!! He doesn't make them anymore!?! I had exchanged emails with him about a year ago regarding the brackets, and I already had the rotors but was waiting for a deal on the Corvette calipers to pop up - which it finally did a few months ago. Just hadn't gotten around to getting back in touch with him to order the brackets. I hope he still has some left, or at least would be willing to share the specs so I can have a machine shop make them for me.

By the way if anyone is in the market for this mod and isn't in a hurry, keep an eye on the prices for the calipers on Amazon! They sometimes get DIRT cheap - look what I paid for my front set! And the rears were as cheap as $126 just a few months ago:)

ScreenHunter_478 Jun. 14 15.11.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Escalade Owners,

So lemme start off by saying that I am more than a little irritated at my project status. I have encountered several issues along the way that it doesn't appear anyone else has struggled with. I read and reread the step-by-step instructions before starting on Saturday morning and felt like I was set up to knock all 4 corners out in one day. This was based on the previous posts I had read from others doing this on other forums. I have a more than adequate tool supply and ability with things like this but damn if I haven't bogged down. Here it is Sunday evening and I have only gotten the two rears done with one small exception that I'll not below. I hope the fronts are easier.

Problem number 1:

E-brake/Parking brake shoes were wedged extremely tight into the left rear rotor. Took forever jacking the foot lever in the cabin and releasing it and using the bolt holes to drive the old stock rotor off the hub.

Problem number 2:

I decided to install Stop Tech SS braided lines during this swap thinking it would be as simple as unscrewing the stockers and replacing them with the new SS lines. NOT !!!!. The right rear was a struggle but I was finally able to get the hard line to thread into the new SS line and it is installed and functioning. The left rear however is another matter. I COULD NOT get the hard line to thread into the new SS line. I removed the entire hard line and got it into the sunlight. There was nothing wrong with the threads on the hard line or the new SS line but for the life of me I could not them to thread together. So, the stocker is on the left rear until I can get someone to tell me what the hell I am missing here.

Problem number 3:

The dust shields on the GM900 NNBS 2007-2014 are just ever so slightly different that the GM 800 NBS. It first glance they look the same but they cannot be removed from the truck without taking the entire axle and hub assembly out of the truck. That's far more effort than I wanted to get into so I took a cutting wheel and cut out the section needed. I don't recall reading this anywhere that this step is required. Its a pain in the arse!!!!

On the plus side, the brackets fit extremely well and everything is lined up nicely. I have bled the rears and will re-bled once the front are done. This just wasn't as easy I was expecting.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I worked my way thru the three issues finally and here were the outcomes:
1. Not real sure how to adjust these but I rotated the mechanism drawing in the shoes a little bit. This allowed the new disc to go on relatively easy.
2. I still do not know why the threads would not start when trying to install the new brake line but to solve it I took the hard line off and drove it down to the nearest brake place. Had to swing by the local chevy dealer to buy the fitting as they are not a typical size. Of course they aren't, as none of my projects ever work out with a single trip to Autozone. Anyway, the brake place cut ff the old fitting (just about 1mm of metal), slid on the new coupling and re-flared the hard line. All done.
3. Not too difficult with a good angle grinder or cut-off tool but does require some skill to not gouge the bracket that holds the emergency brake. This was the most difficult part of the conversion by far and nobody every talks about it.

Now to the pictures..........

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to let everyone know that I trade the 2009 Escalade ESV for a 2018 Escalade ESV. However before doing so I was able to pull the Big Brake Corvette Monoblocks and rotors off for resale. They wouldn't have given me one extra cent for them on there so I have them in my garage for someone who might wanna do this project. Here's what you would get:

(2) 6-piston Yellow Z06 front calipers
(2) 4-piston Yellow Z06 rear calipers
(2) front adapter brackets from Rudy
(2) rear adapter brackets from Rudy
A full set of padlettes for all calipers
(2) Two-piece front rotors almost brand new
(2) Single piece front rotors 3/4 life left
(2) Single piece rear rotors with 3/4 life left

All necessary bolts for mounting. I have roughly 4K invested in all of this stuff and will let it go for 1.5K plus shipping. If you happen to be in the DFW area, then you can come get them.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
128 Posts
Uh oh, I need a brake job. This post is going to make my wallet squeal and whine to open up.

·
2008 Escalade
19 Posts
Wanted to let everyone know that I trade the 2009 Escalade ESV for a 2018 Escalade ESV. However before doing so I was able to pull the Big Brake Corvette Monoblocks and rotors off for resale. They wouldn't have given me one extra cent for them on there so I have them in my garage for someone who might wanna do this project. Here's what you would get:

(2) 6-piston Yellow Z06 front calipers
(2) 4-piston Yellow Z06 rear calipers
(2) front adapter brackets from Rudy
(2) rear adapter brackets from Rudy
A full set of padlettes for all calipers
(2) Two-piece front rotors almost brand new
(2) Single piece front rotors 3/4 life left
(2) Single piece rear rotors with 3/4 life left

All necessary bolts for mounting. I have roughly 4K invested in all of this stuff and will let it go for 1.5K plus shipping. If you happen to be in the DFW area, then you can come get them.
Do you still have the kit for sale? I need a brake upgrade on my '08 ESV. I use it for a work vehicle and I have probably close to 800lbs of tools and material (maybe less, maybe more? I've never weighed it) and I drive fast and put a lot of miles on with lots of stop and go freeway traffic in Los Angeles.
I have been looking at the Wildwood kits and I had been reading your posts from the start recently trying to find out the best way to upgrade the brakes.
Let me know if you have the kit still, please. I'll need to get the money together since I'm just getting back to work from the lockdown.
Thanks

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
128 Posts
There’s another company that allows the use of 410x32mm (16.1x1.26”) front rotors vs the oem 330x28mm (12.99x1.1”).

They’re the factory rotors made just for the BBK introduced for the dealer installed Brembo kit without paying for the dealer upcharge. This is the direction I’m going. Min 20” rims tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2008 Escalade
19 Posts
There’s another company that allows the use of 410x32mm (16.1x1.26”) front rotors vs the oem 330x28mm (12.99x1.1”).

They’re the factory rotors made just for the BBK introduced for the dealer installed Brembo kit without paying for the dealer upcharge. This is the direction I’m going. Min 20” rims tho

Hey, PetethePug
Thanks for that info. I'm running on 22" rims and I also have a set of 24" rims with tires that I don't use much because the weight I carry is too much for the small sidewall tire size.
But, if you could give me some more info about that setup for the brakes, I would definitely appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
128 Posts

09-13 ZR1 Brembo 6 pot calipers running 09-14 CTS V pads vs the carbon fiber pads & rotors that normally go with them. It’s a clever set up.

·
2008 Escalade
19 Posts

09-13 ZR1 Brembo 6 pot calipers running 09-14 CTS V pads vs the carbon fiber pads & rotors that normally go with them. It’s a clever set up.

Thanks for that information. I truly appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. It will be very helpful as soon as work gets back to normal and I can afford to buy the parts necessary. Now, I'll have to figure out which color would look best, silver , blue, red, or yellow. I'm leaning towards yellow or red. Silver might look good with my black and chrome set up. I have time to think about it .

Thanks, again
this is my '08 ESV w/97k miles on it.
PSX_20200123_005703.jpg

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
128 Posts
Rims look good and I’m not a fan of most aftermarket. It’s the black out. They charge more for popular colors due to the fact that they can. I found a set of New, silver on eBay. I’m going to have them powder coated yellow, with another coat of clear, without disassembling them. The Porsche guys have pulled it off, I’m giving it a whirl.

I know a lot of purest who are concerned about heat dissipation w/ but I’m not going to race with Ricky Bobby at Talladega. It’s about never having to paint them again and ease of cleaning.

·
2008 Escalade
19 Posts
Rims look good and I’m not a fan of most aftermarket. It’s the black out. They charge more for popular colors due to the fact that they can. I found a set of New, silver on eBay. I’m going to have them powder coated yellow, with another coat of clear, without disassembling them. The Porsche guys have pulled it off, I’m giving it a whirl.

I know a lot of purest who are concerned about heat dissipation w/ but I’m not going to race with Ricky Bobby at Talladega. It’s about never having to paint them again and ease of cleaning.
Thanks for the compliment on the rims. When I bought the truck this past November, it had 24" chrome, flashy, super low profile tires and I couldn't deal with them. Besides, there wasn't enough sidewall on the tires to handle the extra weight I'm carrying. So I went to the local rim store and started looking through catalogs and was already approved for credit, I wanted something that was blacked out but needed a little chrome to break up the black, even the front doors windows are blacked out. While looking at rims and making notes one of the salesmen came in the lobby area and said, what do you think about the rim on your truck? He had rolled out one rim and set it so it was lined up and it was the rims that I have on now. Some customer bought them and drove about a week on them and traded them in. So I liked em and got them for a good discount. Man are they better than the 24s. They are 22s and have enough sidewall for extra weight. It rides a little harder than a Cadillac should but I bought it for the size of the motor and the size of the interior. I don't want to look like it's a work truck. And I drive a lot of miles for work so I wanted the options to make the hours spent on the freeways easy to deal with.
I like your idea about buying the least coveted color calipers and having them painted. That's the way to do it if you can find or know a good painter to do them for a good price.
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 22 Posts