·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette "Blue Devil" gets a familiar name: ZR1
Posted Sep 4th 2007 10:02PM by Alex Nunez
Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Supercars, Chevrolet

Motor Trend reports that the upcoming Corvette supercar will sport the ZR1 moniker when it's finally unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Interchangeably dubbed "Blue Devil," "SS," and "Z07" by the automotive media until now, the car will feature a supercharged version of the 6.2-liter LS3 V8 introduced in the 2008 'Vette. Look for power and pricing significantly higher than that of the current top-dog Corvette Z06. Don't worry, the Z06 won't go away. The 505-horse car will simply become Corvette's midrange offering. Man, it's gonna be a party atmosphere in Cobo when they unveil this thing...
[Source: Motor Trend Blog][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
I read that the other day. I want to know where Motor Trend got their info from though. It would be very cool to name it the ZR-1. You get to keep the "Z" moniker! LOL!

I think me and Chad discussed this a long while back.

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
Nah, F was right the whole time. S/C'd LS3. Also going in the new V. I doubt 650 as in the Vette, but I'm betting around 550-600. S/C'd LS7 would be bad ass though.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Hell ****ing yeah! ZR-1 FTW!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Hmm... I always wanted the ZR-1 to remain a one-off, most everything about the original ZR-1 was unique to that car, down to the Yamaha engineered DOHC V8, which pre-dated the Northstar by 2 years. I think Blue Devil or SS would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Motor Trend reports that the upcoming Corvette supercar will sport the ZR1 moniker when it's finally unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in January.
I want to know where Motor Trend got their info from though. It would be very cool to name it the ZR-1.
I said over in the V forum, Motortrend is about 1 notch above the Enquirer when it comes to reporting facts. They dig up a rumour somewhere and run with it. They also stated the ZR-1 was used in 1971 on 8 cars produced. It was actually over a 100 cars and it was from 1970-1972. So dont believe their "facts".

I will admit it would be cool to resurrect the ZR-1 name.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I said over in the V forum, Motortrend is about 1 notch above the Enquirer when it comes to reporting facts. They dig up a rumour somewhere and run with it. They also stated the ZR-1 was used in 1971 on 8 cars produced. It was actually over a 100 cars and it was from 1970-1972. So dont believe their "facts".

I will admit it would be cool to resurrect the ZR-1 name.
Thats interesting info, though to me the "real" ZR-1 will always be the C4 version, what an amazing car.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Thats interesting info, though to me the "real" ZR-1 will always be the C4 version, what an amazing car.
Yes indeed it was. I would love to buy one. They are getting cheaper. The problem is lack of replacement parts if something in the powertrain fails.

The 70-72 ZR-1/LT-1 was WAY ahead of its time. It was a factory race car. There was no radio, no AC, and the ignition was unshielded. Reportedly, in that era, if you drove it down a residential street, everyone's radios and tv's would go static-y because of that. My ultimate dream car. Alas, there are not many left. The last time I saw one for sale, it was well over $100k. Probably over $200k by now.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
What was that Corvette made in about 69-70 that had a super hi-po 427? ZL-1?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Nah, F was right the whole time. S/C'd LS3. Also going in the new V. I doubt 650 as in the Vette, but I'm betting around 550-600. S/C'd LS7 would be bad ass though.
werd....BTW, dont expect it to be called the ZR-1 either. Wait till you see whats in store for the Camaro.....me likey!

F

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts
werd....BTW, dont expect it to be called the ZR-1 either. Wait till you see whats in store for the Camaro.....me likey!

F
I've heard a couple things for the Camaro but nothing concrete. I hear it is coming out soon though as a late 2008 model. Have you heard anything like this? I've heard its gonna get the DI 304hp V-6, a 400hp LS2, and the possibility of the LS7. Any truth to that? That you can legally say?

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
JimmyH
12,029 Posts

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
I have seen some killer cam power numbers w/ N20 on those motors.
Katech put one in an F-body.
The thing is ridiculous.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496186&highlight=turbo+ls7
This LS7 Conversion is my personal favorite.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/

I think the LS3 with FI is better though, becaus the LS3 will be widely used, cheaper to fix, and has some improvements over the older LS1,2,6.
I would really like to get a 5th gen F-body, but I just can't justify it with the WS6 and a family, so the G8 is what I am shooting for.
Sometimes I laugh when I read post on here about the "Eclusivity of the LS6" The LS2 is just better built with upgrades as the LS3 will be better than the LS2.
Technology is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I've heard a couple things for the Camaro but nothing concrete. I hear it is coming out soon though as a late 2008 model. Have you heard anything like this? I've heard its gonna get the DI 304hp V-6, a 400hp LS2, and the possibility of the LS7. Any truth to that? That you can legally say?
2009 Camaro=:drool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts