Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the proccess of purchasing my first exhaust system for my 05 Cts-v. I'm just wondering if I can get some input on which exhaust system provides me with the better sound and horsepower as well as gas milage. Please give me some feed back on which system is worth the money. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V 6MT (Sold), 2007 CTS-V (Sold)
1,409 Posts
The stock exhaust system is just fine but weighs a lot. The resonator is already an x-pipe and takes out much of the rasp. Lots of people love doing the muffler delete for sound but I believe there is some drone to deal with.

I really like my magnaflow system but there is some rasp with the x-pipe and even more since I added high flow cats. There is some drone but not in my normal operating rpm ranges so it is no problem at all for me. I highly doubt I gained any power over the stock system with just the cat back but I think the high flow cats added some.. maybe 8hp. The magnaflow cat back system is by far the lightest of the aftermarket setups but I believe it is also the cheapest stainless steel and the price reflects that. The magnaflow cat-backs can be had for 6-700 and sometimes you can find deals in the upper 500 range (I did). No other aftermarket system comes close to that price.

IMHO, BB and magnaflow systems have the best sound with BB being louder and a nicer quality. It is really going to depend on your taste for sound and the price point. Performance isn't going to be a factor for aftermarket exhaust on the V.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,222 Posts
I was like you about five years ago. Heard about the drone from B&B, so bought a Corsa. Put it on and was immediately disappointed ... it was way too quiet. Putting Kooks LTs on with their hi-flow cats woke it up and made the Corsa the perfect choice for me.

Forget about any hp gains for any of the cat-backs available for our cars. Do it for the sound and be sure you hear as many different setups as you can before you buy. Guys here have posted up a lot of sound clips, but hearing in person is infinitely better, IMHO.

If money is a big issue, Magnaflows seem to be the system of choice. B&B will get you the most sound, but the Corsa will rival the B&B at WOT.

Finally, other guys here will love to chime in on this one.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So putting and exhaust doesn't matter the brand doesn't boost up your HP just by a little? That sucks, well I like the BOrla's sound better, still undecided.

·
Registered
2004 Raven Black CTS-V
135 Posts
There are a few sound comparisons posted on youtube. Take a gander and make a choice. Everyone's idea of "best sound" is going to be different, seeing as how it is based on their opinions. I personally went with BB and love it. Corsa sounds great as well. They are two totally different sounds. Either way you go, get headers!

·
Registered
2005 cts-v,2003 escalade,2000 corvette conv. 1996 harley, 20
142 Posts
I went with OBX headers $420.00,muffler delete with 5" MBRP Black tips. Sounds Awsome!

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T
296 Posts
CAM/Headers/HiFlow Cat/XPIPE and stock mufflers sounds pretty mean. IMO. No drone at all.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a few sound comparisons posted on youtube. Take a gander and make a choice. Everyone's idea of "best sound" is going to be different, seeing as how it is based on their opinions. I personally went with BB and love it. Corsa sounds great as well. They are two totally different sounds. Either way you go, get headers!
Thanks so much, this will definetely help alot. Does the brand for the headers matter whatso ever? Ok I know how much to save now, rather just get everything all together.

·
Registered
CTS-V
41 Posts
i did pacesetters built my own xpipe taking out my cats and resonator was gonna do flowmasters but bought cherry bombs because they were quieter at 75. really raspy at a lug to 2 grand but after that and hammering on it it sounds real good. i had roughly $650 in everything with nice tips

·
Registered
2004 RAVEN CTS-V
191 Posts
I have headers, kooks catted connections and magnaflow catback, and it could not sound better IMO. it sounds like a monster taking off, but still not obnoxiously loud or raspy. Just about perfect. Lol this might sound ridiculous but sometimes I ask my dad if he can drive it down the road for me so i can hear what it sounds like from behind and it's never failed to put a giant grin on my face. =] go with the magnaflow you won't regret it

·
Registered
none
626 Posts
A complete aftermarket exhaust is more for sound than performance. The factory tubing is mandrel 2.5", the resonator and mufflers weigh on par with the aftermarket offerings, and the factory system flows quite well. It is a well designed system. If you want to create a more muscular sound and perhaps gain a bit of performance, then changing the mufflers to Magnaflows would be the best bang for the buck. The factory resonator has an integrated x-portion inside of it. I've had factory exhaust parts and Magnaflow parts in my hands and I couldn't really notice much of a weight difference.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,222 Posts
Here's a cold motor idling ... sorry, no revving, though.

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
Here's something I came across while searching for something else that might be interesting in this thread. It is a Corsa rep talking about the development of the CTS V system way back in 2004 before it was released for sale. He has some interesting thoughts on 2.5in vs 3.0in. systems and explains some of the design features of the Corsa. Witness history in the making by clicking the link below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...ormance/18534-corsa-cts-v-exhaust-update.html

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
if you want performance, you are going to have to get headers with your exhaust.

corsa sounds good up high, but that fishing-boat idle sound kills it for me. magnaflow sounds the best all around with LS engines. but it's also the one that sounds most like stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts