Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just wondering i know there are a few who have the system on there STS
but are there any members who put the system on there SLS ?

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be much difference, in either installion or sound
Yeah thats what i figured should sound the same and bolt up the same

i was just curious to see if anyone had put it on there SLS

some ppl have asked me why on the luxury sedan would i want it they can see putting a performance system on a STS but not a SLS
so they think im throwing away good money spend towards something els

but i want it for the looks and sound

so i was just curious if anyone ells had done this

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
I see no problem with installing it on an SLS they boast a lot of power and torque, just no quite the same handling

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah for me its not really about the power right now if i put a corsa on it would be about boasting a little power but i know not to expect much its more for looks and sounds
so was curious to see if anyone els with an SLS decided to get one

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
dropping almost $1200 on an exhaust for the sound... ouch!
This is what I thought as well. If you are look for a louder sound, you could just take the mufflers off, take them to your local shooting range, practice with your .22, and put them back on :p. .22 ammo is a lot cheaper than $1200.

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
Pup, consider plan B which is what I will do - just get new rear cans & tips. The budget way! :)

Local exhaust places here are quoting me ~$500-$600 for a set of two new rear cans & dual tips out each side, installed. The price variations depend on which tips you go with, usually. Alternatively, you can keep the SLS tips and just replace the cans. You won't get the 5-10 horsepower increase, but you'll have the sound. The sound is ultimately the point, right? Especially if you have an SLS. The beauty of going this route is you can choose how loud or quiet you want your car based on which mufflers you choose, so you have greater flexibility than you'd have with the Corsa.

For an example, go to Flowmaster's website (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1) and look at the difference between the Flowmaster 50/60/70 mufflers. They have audio clips & video clips of these mufflers on different vehicles so you can see how loud each is.

That's the route I'm going to go. As good as the Corsa is, I just can't justify spending double the money for 5-10 horsepower; I'm not building a race car. It's also a little too loud for me. To be fair, doing what I listed above should yield at least a couple of horses anyway, to make the gap that much smaller.

Hey, food for thought....

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dropping almost $1200 on an exhaust for the sound... ouch! You might get lucky and find a used one.
yeah i have been looking i search ebay every week to see if anyone put on one there that is the right system
i also google it part number with used and all
nothing coming up

the cheapest i found was on amazon yesterday i looked and saw it for 1068

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I thought as well. If you are look for a louder sound, you could just take the mufflers off, take them to your local shooting range, practice with your .22, and put them back on :p. .22 ammo is a lot cheaper than $1200.
yeah but not sure it would bass E-Check after that LOL
plus i won't get the looks

i want looks and sound but nice one

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,496 Posts
I had a pair of Dynomax Superturbo's on my old 95 STS, had a set of polished Magnaflow dual 3" tips welded on....that baby sounded mean! Exhaust shop had the mufflers sitting in his shed, some guy put them on his Grand Prix GTP and brought them back after 2 days because he didn't like the sound, offset worked for my car. He sold me the mufflers for $40 a piece and the tips were $70 each, all in all i think I paid $260 for parts/labor....I miss that N* growl :(

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is one Muffler shop that does some decent work around here custom work
maybe ill go and check it out
but dont want to go before i have the money
kind of pisses those guys off if you go and bug them about stuff try to get good prices they give you good prices but then you say i have to wait to do this till next month when i have money

maybe ill check it out next month or so and see what they got

but i couldnt put anyting on my car till i saw a car that was comprable to mine with the sound don't want to go wasting money on something i wsont like

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also i hear the system is alot light takes about 30 or 40 pounds of the car from what i heard so a corsa in the long run might help with MPG also
but not sure if the performance of the system take away from he MPG to make up for the gain from weight but then run difrant to use up more fuel

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
also i hear the system is alot light takes about 30 or 40 pounds of the car from what i heard so a corsa in the long run might help with MPG also
but not sure if the performance of the system take away from he MPG to make up for the gain from weight but then run difrant to use up more fuel
Never heard of that, but you won't feel 30-40 pounds difference on a low performance fwd 4000lb car. I really wouldn't take that into consideration as you make your decision.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never heard of that, but you won't feel 30-40 pounds difference on a low performance fwd 4000lb car. I really wouldn't take that into consideration as you make your decision.
ok cool thanks for the info
im going to think about this and all
but i know before i make my decision i really need to hear another seville or something comparable another Cadillac i think that has the exhaust im going to get i dont want to spend 400 or 500 walking into something blind and not enjoy it

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
there is one Muffler shop that does some decent work around here custom work
maybe ill go and check it out
but dont want to go before i have the money
kind of pisses those guys off if you go and bug them about stuff try to get good prices they give you good prices but then you say i have to wait to do this till next month when i have money
You can get an "estimate" guilt-free; they're not contracts ;)

Agreed, and not only that - but most of that weight is in those stock fat rear mufflers. That's the part you're replacing at a muffler shop anyway, so you're still dropping weight.

Pup, here's an SLS that just swapped out the rear mufflers, even had stock tips welded back on. I personally am going to go with something similar to this:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get an "estimate" guilt-free; they're not contracts ;)

Agreed, and not only that - but most of that weight is in those stock fat rear mufflers. That's the part you're replacing at a muffler shop anyway, so you're still dropping weight.

Pup, here's an SLS that just swapped out the rear mufflers, even had stock tips welded back on. I personally am going to go with something similar to this:

Just listened to 3
the One with the Magnaflows
the one with the flow masters and
the one with the Corsa

i like the corsa better and then after that i think the Flow masters sound good also

but not sure im to fond of the magnaflows

just doesn't do it for me

i also want to have looks of sts want to get ride of the oval pipes want round want something like or close to the corsa tips tail pipes

i guess tomorrow im picking up the caddy from the shop with the new fuel pump and all
then doping her right at the body shop after for that repair to be taken care of from the hit and run in the parking lot last week

then when i get her back ill run her over to the muffler shop and see what they can do for me to make me happy

thanks for the link to the feeds on you tube that helped a lot

·
Registered
Cadillac SLS
9 Posts
I have and it looks and sounds awsome. People definately notice. The great thing about it is that when you get up to speed, there is no resinent sound. Accelerating let's them know you're coming!

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
Keep in mind Pup that Magnaflow and Flowmaster both make various types of mufflers for varying loudness & performance levels. In other words, the ones you heard on youtube are not what ALL magnaflows or flowmasters sound like. Flowmaster has different series/levels (super 50, 55, 70, etc) that will all sound different. Obviously you could have any tips welded on you'd like, and you can find good, high-quality stainless tips on ebay all day long.

See for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310299991869

If you're looking to save money but want the sound of the corsa, you can "build" a system getting tips like this, some mufflers from any company, and just have them install & remove resonators as necessary. The Corsa removes the central "hot dog" pipe IIRC, while the magnaflow video I showed you on Youtube didn't sound like he had that removed. All you'd have to do is just ask the exhaust shop to put a straight-pipe in from the cat-back to your rear two mufflers and I would be willing to bet you'd sound quite similar to a Corsa at probably half the price, all said and done. You probably won't have the performance unless your local shop has a mandrel bender (doubtful) or welds joints for bends (also doubtful), but the horsepower difference would probably be negligible until over 5k rpms anyway.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2002 White Diamond STS
105 Posts
Oh, in other news I had ordered two Magnaflows from my local shop and changed my mind after I put the deposit down. Doh!

I decided I love how quiet the car is; I've never had a car this quiet. I have the mufflers in my possession though, so if I change my mind later, I'll always have them ready to go...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts