Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having the same issue I am with the oem 18" rims?

My car is the 2013 ats4. Looks like the clear coat is starting to separate from the rim. See attached photos of what is happening. I am going into the dealership Wednesday to have the recall done on the sunroof switch and going to have the service manager look at them when in. Hoping they will be covered under warranty as this should not be happening with not even two years on them. And to add to this confusion I live in Vancouver, we don't hardly ever get snow here!

·
Registered
2014 2.0t AWD
276 Posts
You may not get a lot of snow, but do they ever salt/treat the roads in the winter?
Once the clearcoat/sealant gets compromised water/salt gets behind there and it's down hill from there. Have the tires ever been changed or anything else that could scratch the clearcoat?

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
I have the same rims, and noticed bits of corrosion the other day when I was washing them. Let me know how it goes at the dealership, I may have to go down the same road.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes on occasion they put down a "liquid salt" when it gets to the freezing point so they are exposed to some type of road salt.

I will post an update once I "get the news" Wednesday.

----------

And to answer the other question they are the original tires (only have 28,000kms on the car) so it should be interesting to see what they say.

C

·
0 Posts
If they give you any trouble about it ask the SA to print you out a copy of the GM Wheel warranty Coverage and you will see Filiform Corrosion and white chalky lines underneath the clear coat are listed as covered..

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip CTSChick, I will throw this in my back pocket if needed. Let's hope they act like adults and choose to do the right thing, after all once my lease is up on this one I'm very interested in the atsv. I would hate for them to leave a bad taste in my mouth and dissuade me from remaining a loyal client and go back to Audi.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6L
174 Posts
I have the same wheels on mine. I live in FL and they did the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they replaced all 4 wheels under warranty.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. Took the car in today for the recall and the service manager looked at the rims took pics and said he would send them in for GM to review and make a decision (take a couple days). He did say that if they do change them out I only get one shot at it, no repeats. He did say they currently have one to two per week they are getting approved to swap out. I asked if I could take the other rim design (machined rims) as they are not having this issue and he said he would look into it for me.

Hopefully I will have a confirmed update by the end of the week and will post once I do.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
My machined 18" had a rub when I purchase the car and they just had a local wheel guy fix them and they looked great and have held up for 2 years. Just an option for future reference.

C

·
0 Posts
The problem/defect you are experiencing with the wheels is not limited to a one time exchange.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks GJB this is good feedback. I'm not convinced I like the machined rims as much as the polished rims however I think the general consensus out there is that the machined rims are more popular. Still deciding at this point.

----------

CTSChick, I thought it was a weird comment from him however my thought was that if it happens again I will deal with it when they challenge me on it.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
I don't know if it's a one time thing or not, but I'm thinking of waiting a year or so anyhow, just to see if it gets worse, and so that it has one less year for the new ones to go bad by the time I trade it in.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I got the call today and they said no replacement however they will refinish them. They gave me the option of painting them if I choose or just refinish back to original. Not sure what I'm going to do yet as I was thinking on getting them painted black (my car is tricoat black). All in all I'm happy with the decision and at minimum I will have rims that look new again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts