Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
have problem with no left cornering light,all other lights work.have check bulb,fuses,etc.any suggestions would be appreciated.1990 coupe deville.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I know you were hoping for an answer to your question, but I noticed your post and wondered if we have the same problem. When you say cornering light, are you referring to the one on the side of the car or at top near hood area? Anyway, I hope someone comes along who can help you :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neophyte said:
Hi, I know you were hoping for an answer to your question, but I noticed your post and wondered if we have the same problem. When you say cornering light, are you referring to the one on the side of the car or at top near hood area? Anyway, I hope someone comes along who can help you :).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sir, my problem is with the light on the side of the car.any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
The cornering light is the one on the side.

Do a search for it, I remember reading something about it here before.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i had the same problem as you.. well kinda still do... the wire on mine is bad and from time to time it don't work... check the wire itself and see if you can get it to work by giggling the wire.. if so then i would replace the wire..( if you can actually do that.. i am not sure though)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rainingzigzags said:
i had the same problem as you.. well kinda still do... the wire on mine is bad and from time to time it don't work... check the wire itself and see if you can get it to work by giggling the wire.. if so then i would replace the wire..( if you can actually do that.. i am not sure though)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thankyou for everybdy's reply.I have check all wiring.Resistance seems to be fine.I was told might need to replace turn signal switch.But have no idea of how to do that.Any other suggestions or instructions would be appreciated.Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Cornerning light - both inoperative

My problem involves both cornering/curb lights not working when turn signal is flashing. 1989 Sedan DeVille.

1. Both cornering bulbs (GE-881) test OK
2. No voltage at bulb connectors with turn signals (R&L) operating normally.
3. Owner's manual has NO fuse reference for cornering lights.:banghead:
3a. ALL fuses in fuse block to left of steering column check OK.

Is there a secondary fuse block in the car? Where is it located?

Can someone pinpoint the location for the cornerning lights fuse?

If there isn't a bad fuse someplace then I will suspect the turn signal switch in the column since both lights stopped working at the same time.

Thanks.....JB

·
Registered
4,178 Posts

i would replace the whole headlight and skip all the guess and check crap. you can get a used one for under 200 bucks. its not too difficult. Its mounted to the radiator support.

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
It is definietly the turn signal switch, the one under the steering wheel, the contacts get worn, that creates resistance, and then that creates heat, which melts the plastic mount that the contact is in, causing the contact to come out of alighnment with the opposite contact, and that causes the light to not come on, but the directional itself to still work (2 seperate contacts). My 90 Deville did the exact same thing that yours is doing, but mine would actually smoke ever once and a while.

Jack

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

RBraczyk said:
i would replace the whole headlight and skip all the guess and check crap. you can get a used one for under 200 bucks. its not too difficult. Its mounted to the radiator support.
How is replacing the whole headlight going to fix a cornering light problem :confused:

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
But the little 99cent bulbs check out OK and plugs for them go into a bunch of wiring. How would changing anything on the front fix that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
CadillacJack76 said:
It is definietly the turn signal switch, the one under the steering wheel, the contacts get worn, that creates resistance, and then that creates heat, which melts the plastic mount that the contact is in, causing the contact to come out of alighnment with the opposite contact, and that causes the light to not come on, but the directional itself to still work (2 seperate contacts). My 90 Deville did the exact same thing that yours is doing, but mine would actually smoke ever once and a while.

Jack
Didn't really want to hear that but I will check out the switch. Your comment on "smoking" was interesting as well over a year ago I thought I saw a wisp of smoke come from the steering column right after I had entered the interstate shortly after using my left turn signal. I didn't detect any burnt wiring odor so I basically thought I was seeing things as the sun was in my eyes going West. The cornering lights continued to operate normally for the next 12 months or so until just recently and I never saw smoke again. :hmm:

But before I dig into the steering column can you tell me if there is another fuse location I could/should check? Which fuse handles these lights?

Thanks - JB

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
There's no fuse specifically for them. Do a search, there's a post in here that's pretty recent from when someone else had the problem and it says step by step how to replace the switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
brougham said:
There's no fuse specifically for them. Do a search, there's a post in here that's pretty recent from when someone else had the problem and it says step by step how to replace the switch.
had a similar problem on my '81 deville, the plastic case housing the light fixture itself had cracked and the socket was rusted out.. jacked a used socket from a junk yard and all was well..

Peg, just trying to make sure, its not the turn signal but the actual "white" light on the side of the car, right beside your turning signal?

do you hear the "click, click" noise when you turn your turning signal on? (for both left and right)?

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Bringing this thread back because Ive got the same problem...The bulb on the drivers side cornering lamp is good, but the socket along with the wires tested dead. Is is possible to rewire that cornering lamp onto the turn signal/ parking lamp light and have it operate properly?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts