Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a kind of odd issue with my 07 DTS. It has happened in the past before occasionally, but the last few days it's been more frequent- Sometimes when i turn the car off the passenger's side cornering light stays on when the rest of the car is off. I've watched it for 15 minutes and it doesn't shut off by itself, neither does merely turning the car back on and off again.
I always have to turn the car back on and play with the steering wheel and turn signals until the driver light comes on and the passenger light comes off, center it, then shut off the car. I'm thinking this may be a BCM issue, I'm wondering if the BCM uses soldered relays for this, i've replaced those before succesfully in the past...

Has anyone run into this before? It doesn't sound that bad but one of these days i'm not going to notice when i get out and i'm gonna kill my battery

·
Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 84 Buick Electra Estate Wagon **** Gone - 06 SRX, 08 DTS, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
509 Posts
I haven't seen that, but mine will ... every once in a while ... stick on the driver's side after making a gentle left-hand turn (when I am returning the steering wheel to center slowly as I'm coming out of the turn). Usually turning the signal on again and then off ... or turning the right signal on ... will turn off the stuck lamp.

I think that you are correct that it is a BCM issue, but I don't know enough about the BCM to fix it. I do know that when you restart your car, the steering wheel does not control the cornering lamps. You have to drive over about 8 mph before that feature "activates". Once, activated, the feature remains activated, regardless of vehicle speed. But turning off the car "resets" that feature. So if you are turning off and then turning on your car and playing with the steering wheel, it should not have any effect on the cornering lamps. Only the turn signals control the cornering lamps (until you reach the minimum speed; thereby activating that steering wheel-controlled feature).

I've wanted to turn off the feature that will activate the lamps when turning the wheel and leave the lamps only to be activated by the turn signals. But I have not heard that there's a way to do this. I think it would solve my problem of stuck cornering lamps ... not to mention, I have never liked the lamps turning on/off as I'm adjusting the car whilst pulling into a parking spot or in other low-speed maneuvers.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Without Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES)

The left and right cornering lamps are located within the headlamp assemblies. The BCM will illuminate the cornering lamp only during turn signal operation. When a left or right turn signal is activated, the BCM applies ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp supply voltage circuit illuminating the cornering lamp until the turn signal is turned OFF.

With Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES)

On vehicles equipped with VSES the cornering lamps will illuminate when a turn signal lamp is activated or a change in steering wheel direction. When a left or right turn signal is activated, the BCM applies ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp control circuit illuminating the cornering lamp until the turn signal is turned OFF. The cornering lamps will also illuminate when the steering wheel is turned a 1/4 turn to the left or right without a turn signal being activated. The BCM receives a serial data message from the electronic brake control module (EBCM) indicating the steering wheel position. The EBCM receives steering wheel positions via the steering angle sensor. When the BCM receives the serial data message from the EBCM that the steering wheel has changed position a 1/4 turn or greater in either direction and the vehicles speed is greater than 12.8 km/h (8 mph), the BCM will respond by applying ground to the appropriate cornering lamp relay control circuit energizing the LF or RF CRN LAMP PCB RELAY. With the relay energized, battery voltage is applied through the switch side of the relay, the CRN LAMP fuse, and the cornering lamp control circuit illuminating the appropriate cornering lamp until the steering wheel returns to the straight or home position.

The relays are integrated relays in fuse box. You can add a relay or replace the front fuse box.
CORNERING LIGHTS.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts