Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, please, please, go out to your N* equipped Deville (mine is a 98) and remove the upper plastic radiator protector (thing that covers the radiator and headlight assy and has the stickers on it).

Once the cover is removed, look at the point where the upper radiator hose comes close to the radiator hold down on the drivers side of the car. I was getting a faint smell of AF after I shut down my car. Could not find a leak. So I went to change the AF and check for leaks.

As soon as I looked at the hose, I saw that it was just about to pop the hose from rubbing on the hold down bracket. This is a factory set up and totally original.

Now granted, the car is 10 yrs old, and the system had been serviced by the dealer 1 time according to records, but if the hose actually wore through, I could have lost my engine to overheating.

Take 5 minutes out of your day, remove the cover, and inspect the hose. It could save you thousands of dollars.

We now return you to your regulary scheduled programming..............:bouncy:

·
Registered
01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!
1,815 Posts
Good tip - there are a couple of places where the upper hose seems to be prone to rubbing on other parts on these cars. On my Eldo, the oil dipstick handle and the hose meet - I have to make sure I press the dipstick DOWN another 1/2" when I check the oil, to make sure it get's seated in the tube. As you said, it's a very good idea to remove that shield and check for spots where the upper hose might rub.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I actually got the hose off and looked at it, there were a couple of spots it was rubbing. The worst of which was the bracket I spoke of (it is actually the electric fan mount that attaches to the radiator support). I have only driven the car a few hundred miles since I got it, but I am willing to bet the hose would have sprung a leak within a few hundred more.

While I had it apart, I replaced the plugs and PCV as long as I was right there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts