Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville (Base)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

I've got a dilemma with my 02 Deville's cooling system, I've been having coolant low messages to which I fixed with adding dexcool antifreeze to the radiator resovoir. Now after 3 months it's back again, i popped the hood and checked the tank and it was below the fill/full line. I began to look for some leaks. Removing the beauty engine cover I saw some corrosion and some green liquid which I assume is regular antifreeze (this car is 2nd hand) near the exhaust cam gear and below it which I believe is the water pump which had a worn/corroded belt pulley (come to think of it makes me think I found the source to some rattling sounds), near the radiator fans I saw some more green liquid. Now I am worried that the previous owners had added the green stuff instead of dexcool, I know that the two make a corrosive mix so I am in a predicament, and should I stick with the dexcool bottle I bought or stick to the green stuff?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,481 Posts
First, find the source of the coolant leak and repair that. Assuming that you partially or fully drain the coolant (3 quarts remains in the block/heater: there are no block drains), refill with whichever coolant you like, BUT, if it's green, change it every two years. If it's DEXCOOL, change it every 3 - 4 years. (Yeah, I know that GM says every 5 years for DEXCOOL, but better safe than sorry..........) The lower radiator drain cock is an unholy bitch to get to........

You may have to replace both the water pump belt ($6) and the tensioner arrangement ($55) to stop the rattle........www.rockauto.com. Surf to your car, cooling system.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Now I am worried that the previous owners had added the green stuff instead of dexcool, I know that the two make a corrosive mix
I think that is a myth. I wouldn't worry about that. Just follow Subs advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice Sub and Ranger, I can't find any leaks from the hoses and I don't see any leaks under the deflector area, but there is brown spots all over the water pump, I got another question how does one remove the belt from the water pump assembly?

·
Administrator
69,481 Posts
Remove the stamped steel cover for the pulley arrangement. Stick a socket drive in the square hole in the belt tensioner arm and lever it so as to remove tension from the belt. Using magic words and Scotch, remove the belt from the pulleys. (W/P space is tight fit). Spin the water pump and tensioner pulleys......any play or noise??? Replace. The water pump requires a special socket, force, and it comes OUT by turning the capsule clockwise (remember the tab orientation) and installs by locking counterclockwise. The cam pulley is a tight press fit, and if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. (There may be a plastic trim cap on the end of the cam pulley.....just keeps the internal threads clean......installer threads......)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot mates, one more pestering question, I've done gotten hoses and the shield off, but the airbox has some torx screws on it with rubber washers on it, bit of a bitch to untighten am I going about it right or is there a special way of removing the airbox that i don;t know about?

·
Super Moderator
87,112 Posts
I'm not exactly sure which screws you're talking about, but I think you are going about it correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got them off and finally took care of the housing off the water pump aswell. Just gotta pick up some parts and get the thing together tomorrow. Thanks alot guys :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, I am having problems with the waterpump removal, the loaner tool from autozone did not include the support bracket for the housing, it's just the socket, I get the socket in nice and snug, but when I turn the thing with my breaker bar the socket slips, I am pretty sure I am going clock wise, (pushing towards the car right for removal right?) Does the pump pop out?

·
Administrator
69,481 Posts
Others have had the same problem..........without the support strap you have to have a helper push in on the socket/wrench assembly with all they have in order to keep the teeth from jumping. Yes, it comes out clockwise, and some have even resorted to an air hammer socket. Careful......it's aluminum.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I managed to get it out with some big help, I resembled the whole thing together, and poured some coolant in it, gotta pick up some more today, I am wondering are those sealant tabs necessary or not? alldata says to use them, but I heard here that they arent needed for the 200X models. Sorry to be a pain in the ass here with the buckets of questions :p

·
Super Moderator
87,112 Posts
The choice is yours. GM stopped using them around '03. I have stopped using them in ALL (4) my GM cars regardless of year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Ranger I recall writing a thread with this similar problem and once again you give me reassurance, so i decided to skip out on the tabs. Alls good and done and hopefully no coolant problems from now on. Again thanks so much couldnt a done it without the help of you guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys sorry to trouble you all again, but I just found a small leak at the water pump housing (water pump cover/gasket is good and clean), it seems to be coming from the pulley this doesn't make sense as it's a new water pump and I put the seal in. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
87,112 Posts
If it is leaking from the pulley side it has to be the O ring or the shaft seal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The o-ring and shaft seal are they one and the same or is one on the housing and the other is in the waterpump itself? P.S do I have to drain the coolant again or can I just pull out the two radiator hoses without any worries?

·
Super Moderator
87,112 Posts
The shaft seal is on the pump. The O ring is what you installed with the pump on the inside. I suspect you will have to drain it, at least below the pump level.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It seems after a replacement of the o-ring and new waterpump, that there are no leaks from that area anymore, but the strange thing is I have a metal/plastic and rubber insulated hose that's wet on the passenger side, that comes from the radiator that goes to a pulley'd component right next to the alternator. I also notice that the radiator seems to be spitting small amounts of coolant too, judging from the little drips on that metal shield below it. Maybe some barleak tabs will be necessary?

·
Super Moderator
87,112 Posts
The only pulleyed component next to the alternator is the A/C compressor.

Barleaks tabs may help, but it will be a bandaid. Locate and fix the leak. May be time for a new radiator.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts