Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with the cooling system on my '87 Fleetwood Brougham. For a couple of weeks, the heater seemed to take a little bit longer to warm up before warm air would heat the car. After that no problems.

Took the car on a short journey (2 mile roundtrip) and had just parked the car when a load of steam appeared from under the bonnet. Shut down straight away and then tried to look for the cause - which wasn't easy in the dark. Left it and looked again the following day.

Turns out that a short (about 3 inches) from the water pump to just under where the top radiator hose connects to the engine block had blown The coolant in the exapansion tank is at maximum.

Question is, am I going to be ok if I just replace the hose, or do i need to replace other parts too? I wondered if the thermostat was sticking?

Am I right in thinking that the thermostat is inside the metal housing, where the large top rad. hose connects?
I think this housing is going to have to come off to fit the new hose, anyone had to do this fix before?

Any help is appreciated - being in London, UK parts are a bit more expensive over here and I don't want to spend money I don't have on parts I don't need. At the same time I don't want to assume that replacing the hose will fix the problem, only for a more serious problem to damage the engine.

Car has covered 28,000 miles from new (1987) and runs like a dream.

Sorry about all the questions, I just want the car on the road again.

Thanks for your help,
Tony

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Replace the hose and the Tstat right away!! If its still a problem, replace other things...... Honestly, Id replace any hose under there that looks questionable!!!

Also, you are correct in your location of the Tstat!

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Maybe the hose clamp is just a bit loose. But like elwesso said if the hose looks questionable replace it. That is where the thermostat is. You don't have to take off the housing to replace the hose but it sounds like a good idea to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I Agree, Replace The Thermostat And Hose. The Hose Is The By Pass Coolant Passage Until The Thermostat Opens. Probably Failed Because Of Age. Make Sure You Use The Proper Temperature Thermostat For Year, I Believe It Is 195 F. Also If The Other Hoses Are Original, You Can Tell Because The Wire Hose Clamps Are Stapled To The Hose, Replace All Original Hoses. This Tends To Start A Domino Effect Once One Hose Is Replaced. The Other Hoses Are Now Under More Stress And Will Blow Soon. Also The Radiator Cap Is Often Ignored During A Cooling System Repair. They Become Weak From Age And Wont Hold The Proper Pressure. Replace Cap As Cheap Insurance. Good Luck, I Don't Believe Any Damage Has Been Done, Bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I don't have any choice in the replacing bypass hose, the hose split so that's gotta be replaced anyway. Will do the thermostat too, and all the other hoses too. Makes sense to do it now while there is little coolant in the system.

I think I'll flush the radiator too while I'm there.

Anyone got any tips on preventing/getting rid of airlocks in the system when I come to refilling it?

Thanks again,
Tony

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
This Engine Is Not Prone To Air Locks Like The Front Wheel Drive Cadillacs. Fill With Coolant, Let It Run With Cap Off Till The Upper Hose Starts To Get Warm, Raise The Idle To 1500 1800 Rpm And Continue Filling. Hold The Idle High As You Install The Radiator Cap. Make Sure Heater Control Set To 90 Degrees And Overflow Tank Is Half Full. Once Cap Is On And Idle Speed Is Lowered, It Should Start To Draw From The Overflow. You Will Note That Raising The Idle As Filled, Lowers The Level In The Radiator Allowing A More Completed Fill. Good Luck, Bill.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
When I did my coolant/Tstat change, I just drove around for a while with some premixed AF in the trunk..... When it was cool, id check the level in the cap and see if it was low..... id top off if necessary!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts