Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0. I was headed into town which is about a 15-20 min drive one way and once I was headed home I noticed I was hearing a humming noise coming from the engine compartment. All of a sudden I got a ding alert from the gauge dashboard then it had an alert message show up saying: engine overheating Turn off AC. And to mention that at the time when it did this my ac was off. After the message alert the temp gauge shot up in a matter of seconds from a notch below the halfway point to all the way past red. As soon as this happened I pulled into a parking lot and after shooting up to red it only stayed there for about five seconds then shot back down to normal temp. I parked and opened up the hood and could smell coolant but could not locate any leaks and for the other ten minute drive back home never shot back up again. So my question is has anyone else known or experienced this issue? I’ve heard it could be one of the fans or the water pump?
Make sure your radiator cap is on right if you put it on upside down it doesn't feel right and you start losing antifreeze also change your antifreeze put the green antifreeze in your car because the orange antifreeze heats the gaskets away make sure your radiator cap is not cracked on the plastic or rubber part if that is not the problem your water pump may not be pumping check your vehicle when it's hot and see if the thermostat kicks open when you turn on the heater if the hose has pressure your thermostat is stuck..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure your radiator cap is on right if you put it on upside down it doesn't feel right and you start losing antifreeze also change your antifreeze put the green antifreeze in your car because the orange antifreeze heats the gaskets away make sure your radiator cap is not cracked on the plastic or rubber part if that is not the problem your water pump may not be pumping check your vehicle when it's hot and see if the thermostat kicks open when you turn on the heater if the hose has pressure your thermostat is stuck..all os your fan may not be going on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0. I was headed into town which is about a 15-20 min drive one way and once I was headed home I noticed I was hearing a humming noise coming from the engine compartment. All of a sudden I got a ding alert from the gauge dashboard then it had an alert message show up saying: engine overheating Turn off AC. And to mention that at the time when it did this my ac was off. After the message alert the temp gauge shot up in a matter of seconds from a notch below the halfway point to all the way past red. As soon as this happened I pulled into a parking lot and after shooting up to red it only stayed there for about five seconds then shot back down to normal temp. I parked and opened up the hood and could smell coolant but could not locate any leaks and for the other ten minute drive back home never shot back up again. So my question is has anyone else known or experienced this issue? I’ve heard it could be one of the fans or the water pump?
I have the identical model vehicle. At 101,xxx, the water pump went kaput. The only difference is that mine happened all at once. Good luck.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,526 Posts
Aux water pump was 2008-09.
Is there much information here on their function, when they operate, and what failure looks like? Mine is 140K miles old, wouldn't hurt to know what to expect.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,603 Posts
Is there much information here on their function, when they operate, and what failure looks like? Mine is 140K miles old, wouldn't hurt to know what to expect.
I have no information on function attributes, but read a blog on an incident with one that resulted in elevated coolant temps, and a code. He mistakenly refers to the auxiliary cooling fan, but then the pump shows up as if he'd been talking about it all along to reveal the error.

Replacing Auxiliary Water Pump - Cadillac CTS – Smart Enough to DIY

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (103k miles)
1,356 Posts
After turning off your engine, if your fan is still running hard and humming loud, generally that might mean your water pump is going to go soon. My car was like that for a week, and the engine temp gauge was slightly higher than normal (at about a little over the halfway point) and then the week after the water pump died and the Engine Overheating Turn off AC sign came on. Fortunately I was somewhat close to the dealer so limped my way there at 25 mph, with several pit stops to cool down.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,603 Posts
Only thing I can think of is it prevents heat soak after engine shutdown.
I recall a technical reference to it as a high performance related component and in addition to serving as an after engine run pump, the circumstance reported in the link suggests it also runs on the go and it's presence is probably why I've never had an issue following coolant drain and refill on any occasion as far as air bubbles and high temp threats are concerned during the process.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts