Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0. I was headed into town which is about a 15-20 min drive one way and once I was headed home I noticed I was hearing a humming noise coming from the engine compartment. All of a sudden I got a ding alert from the gauge dashboard then it had an alert message show up saying: engine overheating Turn off AC. And to mention that at the time when it did this my ac was off. After the message alert the temp gauge shot up in a matter of seconds from a notch below the halfway point to all the way past red. As soon as this happened I pulled into a parking lot and after shooting up to red it only stayed there for about five seconds then shot back down to normal temp. I parked and opened up the hood and could smell coolant but could not locate any leaks and for the other ten minute drive back home never shot back up again. So my question is has anyone else known or experienced this issue? I鈥檝e heard it could be one of the fans or the water pump?

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Hey guys, I have a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.0. I was headed into town which is about a 15-20 min drive one way and once I was headed home I noticed I was hearing a humming noise coming from the engine compartment. All of a sudden I got a ding alert from the gauge dashboard then it had an alert message show up saying: engine overheating Turn off AC. And to mention that at the time when it did this my ac was off. After the message alert the temp gauge shot up in a matter of seconds from a notch below the halfway point to all the way past red. As soon as this happened I pulled into a parking lot and after shooting up to red it only stayed there for about five seconds then shot back down to normal temp. I parked and opened up the hood and could smell coolant but could not locate any leaks and for the other ten minute drive back home never shot back up again. So my question is has anyone else known or experienced this issue? I鈥檝e heard it could be one of the fans or the water pump?
With the engine cool, where is the coolant level in the overflow tank? Proper "full" level is where the two halves (black and clear) of the overflow tank meet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
With the engine cool, where is the coolant level in the overflow tank? Proper "full" level is where the two halves (black and clear) of the overflow tank meet.
Coolant level is real low. I filled up myself a couple weeks back. Like I said the past couple days after I step out of the car I鈥檝e been smelling coolant as soon as I step out of the car.

Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
you need to get that fixed NOW.

Registered
08 CTS DI
The water pump and one of the coolant outlet pipes from the cylinder heads would be high on the list as leak points. The water pump can leak intermittently and the wind passing through the radiator along with the lower skid shield helps conceal the signs of a leak.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The water pump and one of the coolant outlet pipes from the cylinder heads would be high on the list as leak points. The water pump can leak intermittently and the wind passing through the radiator along with the lower skid shield helps conceal the signs of a leak.
Ok thank you very much so im guessing I can possibly run my finger along the borders of the water pump and see if I can feel any coolant on the outside or underneath?

Registered
08 CTS DI
Ok thank you very much so im guessing I can possibly run my finger along the borders of the water pump and see if I can feel any coolant on the outside or underneath?
It's possible, but you may need to raise the car and remove the shield underneath for a better look. I recently replaced the pump on my Mom's car after several instances of waking up the next day and going to the car to find a small puddle of what turned out to be coolant in the driveway in proximity to the pump area of the motor. There was coolant loss and it would only show signs of a leak after the car was parked and allowed to sit for hours. The problem resolved with replacement of the pump, which appeared to be leaking from the smallest of the two holes in the pump bearing housing. LY7 motor, same pump.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's possible, but you may need to raise the car and remove the shield underneath for a better look. I recently replaced the pump on my Mom's car after several instances of waking up the next day and going to the car to find a small puddle of what turned out to be coolant in the driveway in proximity to the pump area of the motor. There was coolant loss and it would only show signs of a leak after the car was parked and allowed to sit for hours. The problem resolved with replacement of the pump, which appeared to be leaking from the smallest of the two holes in the pump bearing housing. LY7 motor, same pump.
Ok awesome well I鈥檒l take a look and probably go with replacing both the water pump and thermostat just do be on the safe side. Thanks for the good info

Registered
Omg really I did not know that... smh please respond back with useful information thanks.
listen if you don't know what to do you need to take it to a repair shop. This is simple things and obviously it's over your head already

Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
Gentlemen, stick to the topic at hand and don't get personal.
Mcw, I see that you edited your post, presumably to make yourself look better and him worse. Doesn't work that way. The warning was directed at both of you.

Registered
You are not qualified to fix your car since u do not know enough to use a cooling pressure tester to determine where your cooling system is leaking from.
Knowing that u had a cooling system leak u filled it and continue to drive the car.
U need to leave this diagnosis to a professional.
This is the only advice i have been giving you.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
Coolant level is real low. I filled up myself a couple weeks back. Like I said the past couple days after I step out of the car I鈥檝e been smelling coolant as soon as I step out of the car.
That means you have a leak somewhere. Keep an eye on your coolant level and attempt to discern its origin if your skill set is up to par or take your car to a reputable shop and have them perform a proper pressure test to determine the source of your coolant loss.

Good luck moving forward.

Registered
2013 CTS4 3.0L Base Model
Similar scenario happened to me but mine did it while in stop & go traffic. First time it went back to normal within seconds after pulling over. I went a good month or two before it happened again, except this time it went into 鈥渓imp home鈥 mode before I could reach a place to pull over. Raised the hood and sure enough it was overheating. Let it cool down and cranked the heater at full blast until I got home. I replaced the water pump first but it wouldn鈥檛 pump coolant back thru the system so I tackled replacing the thermostat. Be advised, the water pump is easy. Thermostat took me a few days to free it. It鈥檚 in a tough spot to reach in front of the firewall. Granted, I didn鈥檛 remove my intake manifold to get at it, but I managed. Once I replaced it, I got fluid to run thru the system, but only after the engine overheat warning came on and the radiator fan kicked on. There are different methods chronicled on here if you do a search. Good luck!
Mike

Registered
I have a 2011 cts 3.0 never had that happen my water pump was leaking and I had it changed but never had any gauge or warning light issues. Just noticed antifreeze on driveway after I would get home

Registered
I have a 05 ctsv. My thermostat was sticking closed and causing my reservoir to over flow. Because of the position of the temp sensor it showed normal untill the stat opened. Then the analog gage pegged as well as the digital. New stat fixed problem.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts