Howdy you'll
at what temp do the cooling fan come on a
94 eldorado
what temp does the engine usally run at
thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
i think my 95 rins high. my coolant temp is usually around 218-225 degreese. I think thats high though... when the temp gets above 220 at an time its usually time to worry... or at least that what i was told by people who build high-po motors

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
These motors are built to run pretty hot 218 to 225 is within the operating heat range for them!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
Mine was running hot when we first got her(220-225), we thought the fans weren't coming on, so hubby hooked up a toggle switch, and it brought the temps down to 205. But I took her out yesterday and the fans kicked in by themselves, and she seems to stay cooler now.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Those temps are to the high side of normal operating range. The things are designed to run considerably warmer than older engines were for a number of reasons. A lot of times if you make them run too cool they will run pretty bad some of the vacum controls are temp. sensitive and won't function till the engine is at full operating temperature!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
Really? We have had several DeVilles with the 4.9 in them that ran cool, so was it just the Eldo's that run hotter?
Either way, this car runs too good now! hehe...I love the looks she gets..

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It's pretty much all the engines after the mid '80s that tend to need the higher temps. I've read some about it but I didn't retain much other than it's needed to help with more complete burning of fuel and such.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The need for running warm isn't really a new thing. Back in the 60s, cars had 195*F thermostats, just as they do today. This is for a variety of purposes -- most notably engine wear and emissions. Did you know that engine wear increases exponentially as the engine temperature decreases? Those people that put 160*F thermostats in their vehicles aren't doing themselves (or future owners) any favors...

The reason the temperature will climb higher in your Eldorado is because it's TFWD, with electric cooling fans. The fans aren't programmed to come on low speed until 229*F (and high speed at 234*F). If you have the A/C off, the only airflow you get through the radiator is ram air from the car's movement. At most speeds, this is more than enough to keep the coolant cool enough. But when you stop at a light or a drivethru, you're getting no air at all through the radiator, and the temp will rise...until the cooling fans cool it back down. It's all part of the normal cycle.

The reason your old Fleetwood ran cool all the time was because it was RWD and had a belt-driven fan, so the fan was always turning, and always pulling SOME air through the radiator, even at idle. So the engine never warmed up. If you let it sit long enough, for HOURS, it may have eventually started to warm up because it's not much airflow at idle. But a TFWD car, with electric fans, will idle, theoretically, forever because of the ability to pull lots of air though the radiator, even at idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info
I was worried when they went coming on.
has been a cool spring, my running temp is around
212 to 220 degrees.
expect it to run hotter this summer
will have to watch for that

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Your car will run at a more stable temperature if your A/C is ON rather than OFF. When the A/C compressor engages, the cooling fans will run -- and keep a more stable temp overall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts