Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased, 03 CTS. The electric cooling fans run continuously. I am a bit concerned given that there is no actual gauge for monitoring engine temperature. Not sure if continuous operation is typical or not?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Turn off the A/C and wait a few minutes. Then the fans should turn off. Also are both fans on, or just one?

After my front in crash and it's repair. One of the fans was nearly always on. Even during the cool New England weather in December. This was even with the a/c pump off and the fan started with in a minute of a cold start up. When I had time, I looked into it and discovered that one of the fans weren't plugged in. The shop must of forgot it or what not. As soon as I plugged it in, the other one turn off or at least slowed down. Apparently the car knew that it had "lost" a fan, so it controlled the working fan as it should. Either turning it on earlier and at a faster speed.

KOT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turn off the A/C and wait a few minutes. Then the fans should turn off. Also are both fans on, or just one?

After my front in crash and it's repair. One of the fans was nearly always on. Even during the cool New England weather in December. This was even with the a/c pump off and the fan started with in a minute of a cold start up. When I had time, I looked into it and discovered that one of the fans weren't plugged in. The shop must of forgot it or what not. As soon as I plugged it in, the other one turn off or at least slowed down. Apparently the car knew that it had "lost" a fan, so it controlled the working fan as it should. Either turning it on earlier and at a faster speed.

KOT
KOT

Thanks for the feedback. Interestingly enough this car had the front corner clipped. I possibly have the same issue. In addition, the AC compressor won't kick in. Perhaps the system is also smart enough to not allow AC compressor to work if only one fan is working. I will check it out.

Thanks.

Aston803

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
I don't know about the 2003s. But when the fan on my car was unplugged, I seem to remember my A/C working during that week or 2. But there again, it was during the cooler months.

As for your A/C pump not kicking in, there maybe a few issues.

1) Fuse for the A/C pump is blown, will be labled A/C clutch or something like that.
2) Relay for the A/C clutch is cooked
3) Diode for the A/C pump is cooked as well
4) Low on A/C fluid
5) The pressure valve that checks the pressure of the system, does number 4's job, has malfunctioned.

Or 6) It maybe because the outside temp is too hot and it knows that one of the fans isn't working as you suggested.

KOT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the fans. Both are coming on continuously.

With regards the A/C the system, I have check the fuse its good. The system pressure is up. Sounds like I need to look into items 2, 3 and 5.

Maybe the fan issue is still somehow linked to the A/C.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep investigating.

Aston803

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Can anyone tell, do you suppose to have one fan in front of radiator. My car doesn´t have, but there is place in frame and some electrical connections in front. I think that car has been in minor front collision, cause there is some signs of repairs.

Problem is that my fans are continuous on, even belowe freezing temperatures. It doesn´t matter, if A/C is on or off. There is no trouble code in cooling system though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi

Can anyone tell, do you suppose to have one fan in front of radiator. My car doesn´t have, but there is place in frame and some electrical connections in front. I think that car has been in minor front collision, cause there is some signs of repairs.

Problem is that my fans are continuous on, even belowe freezing temperatures. It doesn´t matter, if A/C is on or off. There is no trouble code in cooling system though.
Hello,

I have an 03 and it has two fans. Both of my fans run all the time also. I've replaced everything except the the CTS (coolant temp sensor). Guess I should
have gone ahead and done that since I had the top end off. Live and learn right?...lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts