Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to this forum, although I have been lurking and reading for some time. Last week, as I sat idling in the christmas traffic for a good 30 minutes, the engine temps started to rise. Usaully it sits rock solid at 192, but it went to 224 before I started moving again, and then quickly dropped to 192 again. The outside temps were in the low 40's, and I never heard the fans come on. Truthfully, I've never heard them come on. This being my first NS, it concerned me a lot. There didn't seem to be any damage done, but was wondering if this could be a normal thing for this breed of engine?

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all! :bouncy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
GM's electric cooling fans drive me up the wall. I have tested the primary fan before by turn the A/C on hi and it should be warm enough outside for the hi pressure switch to turn on the primary fan. Depending on how involved you want to get you can test the relays and motors with a volt meter. I think the fan relays are mounted on the fame right below the radiator. It is easier to get to them from under the car. I will see what other info I can find for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Trey,
After doing much searching on this forum, I have found many similar answers to my question. It appears that the cooling fans do not turn on until the coolant temps reach 226-230. Mine has never gone that high, and most of the time I have the temps off on the digipanel, so don't know if they ever got that high. It just unnerved me to see the temps climb to the range of 220+ znd I had to ask about it. :helpless:
Now the one thing that does torque me is the heat system. I'm not going to second guess the engineers, but I think they could have done a better job of it. I have to turn on the defrost untill things warm up nicely, then switch to heater mode, which then keeps things warm from that point on. Cold air blowing on my feet isn't pleasant. :hmm:

Richard S

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I don't think you are likely to hear the fans from inside the car. To test them, just turn the A/C on. They should run anytime the A/C is on.

I am on my second Northstar aand have never seen the temps fluctuate, though it may not be abnormal. That temp is nowhere near hot enough to do any damage. That said, check the normal things, coolant level, purge line, water pump drive belt tensioner and surge tank cap.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If they sit idling they will get up that high, the fans don't kick on until 230, they shut back off at about 210.
Turning on the A/C should activate the low speed fan. If the A/C high side pressure gets too high the high fan will come on also.
Driving you shouldn't see temps like that but sitting still for long periods you will.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ewill3rd said:
If they sit idling they will get up that high, the fans don't kick on until 230, they shut back off at about 210.
Turning on the A/C should activate the low speed fan. If the A/C high side pressure gets too high the high fan will come on also.
Driving you shouldn't see temps like that but sitting still for long periods you will.
That was my situation. We were sitting in traffic and I had the temps on (I usually keep the tach on) and saw the temps start climbing. I'm from the old school of engines and when the temps start climbing it means trouble. The Northstar is a different breed as I am now learning. But, the higher engine temps mean that the oil can break down sooner, so I use synthetic oil now to help in that area. I know, the recommendation is not to use synthetic, and I understand the reasons why, but after 73,000+ miles, I can see no harm from it. :tease:
I may never be confortable with the engine running at the higher temps, but I will concede to those who know, that it does make a more efficient engine, and I cannot complain about the mileage. I've been getting 22mpg in town driving and 36mpg on the interstate when traveling at 70. And I do occasionaly "step on it" and that neck snapping accerlaration is a thrill. Kinda like back in my drag racing days. :D

Richard S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts