Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my temperature gauge has been going up a needle mark above half and sometimes up 2 needle marks. I'm checking the fans, with the A/C on the fans come on for about 5 seconds and then go off after another 5 seconds. It's very rapid to me i know on my 98 Deville both fans run in slow all the time with the A/C on.

Is this normal with the 06?

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay i found a small leak on the top radiator hose so i must have been losing coolant little by little but nothing major. I am going to be replacing the hose and i have a list of things i am going to replace with the cooling system this weekend and be done with it.

·
Registered
2006 dts 4.6
54 Posts
I have two dts and the temp needles on both will rise sometime one notch above the middle but will drop back down. So i agree it is normal, just fix the leak and youll be fine.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have another question. The car has green coolant in it and not Dex-Cool... do you recommend i flush it out and refill with Dex-Cool?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Use whichever coolant you prefer. Despite many internet myths, there is no advantage or disadvantage to DEX or universal. There is nothing special about the aluminum, steel, plastic or rubber in a '96+ GM engine that makes DEX necessary.

DEX was originally designed as a long life coolant. And in '96, it was. Regular green/yellow coolant has had the same or better long life capability for over a decade now.
Re trying to get rid of stop leak residue.

Pick one, mix it 50/50% with distiller water, pour it in, check the level again after a few days. Drain and fill every 2-3 years.

Never a reason to flush unless you'

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Green has always been universal, it was never brand specific. Factory fill in many aluminum engines for decades.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay i am going to drain and re-fill and i guess stick with the green. I have the hose and water pump pulley coming tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Buy dex cool approve the difference in money is not that big. Now if you buy it at Walmart their universal brand is 9 bucks and the other is 14.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I got the hose replaced and put a new water pump belt and pulley. The car is doing a lot better at staying cooler. I have noticed that getting off the highway it can go up to the next mark. I'm not sure If the fans are coming on fast enough or not when sitting at a red light.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay good so i shouldn't have to worry much more about overheating. Now on to figuring out why i have "Service Suspension System" and "Service Stabillitrak" .....

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Firts thing do you have the check engine light on. If you check for the code if you get cthe car running lean code. The air intake manifold bolt are loose there 10 of them check them just make sure not to over tide them yhe brake of easy. I had a 06 that everytime it stared to run lean i used to get a srvice track control sign and the tranny used to bang into gear.

Ps try to take to a place that have a good scanner.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
A lean code has absolutely nothing to do with Stabilitrak/suspension messages.

Those messages are triggered when certain C codes are set (the check engine light is triggered only by emissions related P codes).

When you say the temp goes to the next mark, do you mean the next actual mark on the gauge, or just another needles width towards hot?

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
Moist my 06 dts used to give a massage on the dash to service trackaction control everytime the car ran lean.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A lean code has absolutely nothing to do with Stabilitrak/suspension messages.

Those messages are triggered when certain C codes are set (the check engine light is triggered only by emissions related P codes).

When you say the temp goes to the next mark, do you mean the next actual mark on the gauge, or just another needles width towards hot?
Yeah, i know. I have a code reader but it doesn't read those codes. I have told a shop twice to take a look at the problem while fixing other things but they act like they don't want to bother with it. My speed is limited to 80mph but the car rides so smooth. Will a ABS code reader be able to tell me the codes?

The temp will go to the next mark. But i sit in traffic close to 2 hours every day. The car is a lot more stable than it was before i replaced the hose and belt. It just scares me especially when it starts to get 90+ degrees outside.

·
Registered
06 DTS Performance
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well my temp gauge jumped up to the second mark once again. It goes up and down too much. The water pump makes a slight grinding noise. Even on the highway it jumped to the mark above half. This fluctuation of temp is making me keep my eyes on it way more than I need to be and takes the fun out of driving. I'm not sure if the fans are coming on ALL the time when they NEED to be. But the fans aren't needed at highway and still gets hotter so I don't know.

So maybe it's the water pump since it is making a noise or the radiator isn't doing its job?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts