Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so ago on the way home from vacation our AC suddenly started putting out hot air in my 2013 SRX Luxury AWD about halfway through our 3 hour drive.

Once we got home I took it my friends place to see if it just needed to be charged. The low pressure side completely pegged the meter (I hadn’t had it recharged since purchasing the vehicle in 2017 so it wasn’t overfilled.) Upon further evaluation the cooling fan by the radiator wasn’t kicking on so he hooked it up to the shop computer and ran some tests. He said it was an electrical problem that was above him and to take it to the dealer before the car overheated and more damage happened.

I have some electrical experience so I decided to work through it myself. The fan itself still operates when you supply power directly to it, the resistors are both working fine, and the fuses/relays have all be swapped out with new ones.

I was testing the electrical connector to the coolant temp sensor with the car on and it was getting voltage. When I plugged it back in the fan suddenly kicked on and inside the car I got a warning that AC had been shut off due to vehicle overheating and the temperature meter was pegged on cold. I had just turned the car on prior to testing the connector so there was no way it had overheated already. This hadn’t happened before either. I figured out that if you turned the car on, unplugged the sensor connector then reattached it the fan would turn on but the AC error would kick on.

I then replaced the coolant temp sensor, same problems but now the check engine light was on with codes P0118 and P0119 . Then I replaced the cooling temp sensor connector and clearer the codes. This stopped the “AC shutoff engine too hot” error, the codes didn’t come back up, and the temp meter inside started working properly. But the radiator fan still doesn’t kick on and still no cold air.

I’m not really sure what to do next. I know there’s a possibility that there’s a problem with the wiring somewhere in the circuit, but that just seems so unlikely to me since all the wires are wrapped/protected and the issue started randomly while driving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,990 Posts
take it to the dealer before the car overheats and more damage happens

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take it to the dealer before the car overheats and more damage happens
That will ultimately be the end solution if I can’t fix it myself - no use paying someone $120 an hour to fix something I’m able to do myself.

The car isn’t been driven until it gets fixed so it’s not going to overheat, thanks though

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
735 Posts
FROM THE REPAIR MANUAL:
DTC P0117, P0118, or P0119
Diagnostic Instructions
DTC DescriptorDTC P0117
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
DTC P0118
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage
DTC P0119
Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent
Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit​
Short to Ground​
Open/High Resistance​
Short to Voltage​
Signal Performance​
Signal​
P0117, P0119​
P0118, P0119​
P0118*, P0119​
P0116,P0128​
Low Reference​
—​
P0118, P0119​
—​
P0128​
*ECM or sensor damage may occur if the circuit is shorted to B+.​
You may already have ECM damage, according to note on P0118*.

·
Registered
10 SRX
407 Posts
Replace the fan relay under the hood in fuse box. Original GM's can be purchased on eBay for about $10

1 - 5 of 5 Posts