Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Eldo convertible, 89 Allante, 03 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to bypass the non-operational cooling fan module in my 89 Allante. Can anybody give me any ideas where I can tap in and wire the fans up direct to key-on voltage in the engine compartment that can withstand the current draw? Then I can turn off the message in the DIC and hopefully live happily ever after. Thanks in advance for any assistance here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why not just fix the problem by replacing the module? That way your engine will run at proper temperature which will result in better gas mileage. $75 for a used module from us if you need one. Two small screws and reinstalling 4 connectors is all it takes to change it. You will not be able to turn off the message in the DIC either. The computer will always be looking for the proper input.

·
Registered
1973 Eldo convertible, 89 Allante, 03 DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I realize these things are expensive as all get-out new, but $75 bucks for an 18 year old used part is not the way I would like to go. I was wondering about the feasibility of going with a relay, a thermostatic switch, or something that would be simple, relatively foolproof, and serviceable anywhere I might have a problem. If that's not possible, then I guess I just might be giving you a call!

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
This module was used on the Eldo and Seville. Its mounted on the radiator support in front of the radiator on those cars. Seems to last longer being in the air stream. Point is, find a wreck and get one. I think 88 to 90? would be the years. Dont modify Allante' wiring!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
We don't sell the originals, only replacements. There was a part number change somewhere along the way so we can tell the difference. You certainly could not make the system work any better than it was designed in the first place by adding improvised connections, sensors, and relays. True, the modules do fail, but not that often. What also is true is that improvised wiring doesn't always stand up over the long haul.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The ECM turns on the fans for low speed operation and high speed by completing a ground circuit, not by providing voltage. simply replace the part and be done with it.

·
Registered
'87 Pearl White Allante 89K miles
9 Posts
I had an elctronics mechanic do exactly that on my '87... 4-5 years ago. Took him 5 mins. & charged only $50.
I've had battery drain problems last few years... but do NOT know that is a cause.

I want to bypass the non-operational cooling fan module in my 89 Allante. Can anybody give me any ideas where I can tap in and wire the fans up direct to key-on voltage in the engine compartment that can withstand the current draw? Then I can turn off the message in the DIC and hopefully live happily ever after. Thanks in advance for any assistance here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts