Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX (sold), 96 Eldorado (sold), 99 DeVille (sold)
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much will it cost to flush the coolent system in my 96 Eldo, is this something easy that I can do myself?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Its very simple...... If it hasnt been maintained well (look at your maintenance records for that one), then Id do a flush and a Tstat change at the same time......

My method is to take out the Tstat, drain/refill the radiator with distilled water, keep going until almost clear water comes out, and then do an appropriate fill........ Then right before the final fill, put the Tstat back in.......

If youd like more detail, do a search..... I wrote a TON about this sometime earlier........

If you dont want to do it that way, you can take it somwhere to have it done...... maybe $50 or so.......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
YES!! I forgot to mention that........

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What are coolant Pellets???

And yes a coolant flush is pretty easy did mine a couple of weeks ago no prob. just need the space to do it and the time.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The coolant supplement pellets are little things you put in the cooling system to maintain its integrity, and help prevent leaks....... Im not sure on all of the technicalities, but if you dont use it then you are asking for it......

The bars leaks brand is the OEM type........

·
Registered
29 Posts
elwesso said:
The coolant supplement pellets are little things you put in the cooling system to maintain its integrity, and help prevent leaks....... Im not sure on all of the technicalities, but if you dont use it then you are asking for it......

The bars leaks brand is the OEM type........
The earlier Northstar engines, it was a requirement after a refill of the coolant..The newer N*'s do not require this treatment, or shall i say, the factory has stopped adding this item in.There are many arguements as to whether comsumers,mechanics should use this item on newer Cadillacs

The Northstar engine is designed such that an internal coolant leak into the oil is highly unlikely, even with a failed gasket. Only in the most catostropic gasket failures can coolant get into the oil and by then that is the least of the concerns!!! So the need for the supplement is dramaticlly reduced or eliminated on the Northstar of all years. The sealer is still recommended for insurance of good cooling system integrity against any external leaks. It is a very effective product (if the correct stuff is used correctly) and will even help protect against leakage of coolant into the combustion chamber if a head gasket does start to get weak or fail. Any Northstar with high miles/age can start to suffer from gasket fatigue and corrosion and even on newer and low mileage engines some casting porosity can open up over time leading to a leak or seepage that is harmless and cured by the coolant supplement. I still recommend it's use but it has been discontinued at the factory on the newer engines.

The sealant is P/N 3634621. I purchased a pack from my local dealer for 4.99, it comes in a pack of six..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts