Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 El Dorado 4.9, 1995 Seville North Star
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happily, after several years I found someone who could fix the coolant leak in my beloved 1992 El Dorado. It didn't fix the constant warnings about the engine over heating though. I know the numbers are wrong when they jump from 185 to 230, back down to 190, then tell me the engine is overheating, stop, Idle engine, A/C pump shut down, etc.. With all that nonsense the engine is fine, nothing is overheating. I am guessing the coolant temperature sensor is malfunctioning. Is this part easily replaced or must I take it to a mechanic? Where is the darn thing? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
96 FWB
758 Posts
To answer your questions, yes it is easily replaced with just a socket wrench and you are not required to take it to a mechanic. I do not have your model car or engine, but it is usually threaded into the water pump. I'm sure others will add more valid info if you have time for their replies.

Other:
-They are readily available for sale (or most likely by order for your aged car) at most car parts houses. But most folks doing their own wrenching prefer the convenience and availability of online sources.
-Here's just one, which provides a visual of the unit, along with various options for both price and brand preference if you have any:

-The connection and associated wiring gets brittle with age, so care is needed during installation. You may want to put someone jiggling those while you watch the needle and gauges to confirm the problem there or the sensor itself.
-Coolant will be lost with the sensor's removal, but can be minimized with just basic hand coordination putting the new one in and threading hand tight. Some 'burping' is required to eliminate any air pocket, and requiring replacement of any coolant lost.
-There's bound to be two handfulls of YouTubes on the replacement for your car or similar.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,094 Posts
If you pull the DTC's, you may even find an ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) code.
DTC - 14 Engine coolant temp sensor error (high temp indicated)
DTC - 15 Engine coolant temp sensor error (low temp indicated)

·
Registered
1992 El Dorado 4.9, 1995 Seville North Star
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer your questions, yes it is easily replaced with just a socket wrench and you are not required to take it to a mechanic. I do not have your model car or engine, but it is usually threaded into the water pump. I'm sure others will add more valid info if you have time for their replies.
View attachment 584083

Other:
-They are readily available for sale (or most likely by order for your aged car) at most car parts houses. But most folks doing their own wrenching prefer the convenience and availability of online sources.
-Here's just one, which provides a visual of the unit, along with various options for both price and brand preference if you have any:

-The connection and associated wiring gets brittle with age, so care is needed during installation. You may want to put someone jiggling those while you watch the needle and gauges to confirm the problem there or the sensor itself.
-Coolant will be lost with the sensor's removal, but can be minimized with just basic hand coordination putting the new one in and threading hand tight. Some 'burping' is required to eliminate any air pocket, and requiring replacement of any coolant lost.
-There's bound to be two handfulls of YouTubes on the replacement for your car or similar.
Thanks! That doesn't sound too hard. My car is a 92 El Dorado with a 4.9 engine. I'm open to any good input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts