Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three years ago I bought a 1994 el dorado. It had 9800 miles on it, now has 48000. I have been wondering if the coolant should be replaced. It does not run hot and I'm afraid that if I open the system I will be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Three years ago I bought a 1994 el dorado. It had 9800 miles on it, now has 48000. I have been wondering if the coolant should be replaced. It does not run hot and I'm afraid that if I open the system I will be asking for trouble.
You should definetly change your coolant,that's a long stretch between changes,coolant changes on these engines is very important,at least once every two years,changing coolant is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I agree with Creeker. Coolant should be changed every 2 years, and GM's Bars Leak coolant supplement tabs should be added... Otherwise you're asking for headgasket problems.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
No DEX COOL! Use green on your car!

This isn't just because of my already well spoken dislike for GM's red swill. It's because older green coolant has particles that plate the cooling system and you will realize no significant benefit from conversion to an extended life coolant with an organic acit corrosion inhibitor.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input, but was hoping to hear from someone who might have had some experience dealing with a
situation like this.

·
Registered
95 STS
58 Posts
You did get help from people who have dealt with a situation like this. Change the coolant. If you don't, you run the risk of having more trouble than you can handle.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
I did not bother posting before because I thought your question was more than adequately answered. You are WAY over due for a coolant change. DO IT NOW! You are "asking for trouble" if you don't.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Damn, thats along time with no coolant changes... hopefully the low mileage will save you... but probably not, as H/G's fail at all mileages. Change the coolant NOW and hope for the best... no further questions necessary, just go DO IT!

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
ltlcid; said:
I appreciate the input, but was hoping to hear from someone who might have had some experience dealing with a
situation like this.

Many of us have dealt with situations quickly coming to you, we've done head gaskets on engines that failed because the coolant was never changed!

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
You are waaaaay overdue.....

Dexcool is 5 years/100,000 miles...

You can do it yourself with Dexcool and distilled water for $22... for that price, I do it once a year.....

Log off and go change your coolant....

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
You are waaaaay overdue.....

Dexcool is 5 years/100,000 miles...

You can do it yourself with Dexcool and distilled water for $22... for that price, I do it once a year.....

Log off and go change your coolant....
Forget the Dex Cool ok? It's an older car which did not come with dex cool and would realize no benefit. Just get a silicate free coolant. Zerex G05 (gold colored) is a good choice if you REALLY want extended life, otherwise basic green stuff as long as it's silicate free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts