Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have noticed that the first time I changed the coolant and now I can confirm that again - adding a tube of Bar's Leaks Golden seal powder (same stuff comes in tablets and recommended by GM) raises the coolant temperature in LT1 engine by some 6-7 F.

Probably the viscosity of coolant changes or there is more restriction in narrow passages resulting in lower flow rates.

The engine temperature on a high way is around 174F with no supplement and is around 181F with supplement.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I always use half the recommended amount (3 tabs instead of 6) just because it seems too thick with all 6 in there and it gets all gummy around the cap. You may have validated my theory. Just like a lot of common products, you only need half the amount they tell you. They always recommend more so they can sell you more.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL I think one tube is equal to three tablets.

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
Damn - i had forgotten all about this stuff - now i'll have to get some more for my new Fleetwood. BTW NorthStars require the entire 6 tabs.

·
Registered
Deville
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a Cadillac Deville 1997. It seems my engine may be overheating. When the outside air temperature is 80 degrees, after driving about five to ten miles, the coolant temperature goes somewhere between 212 to 225. Is that normal or should I worry about it. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,407 Posts
Hi coral! Welcome to CadillacFoums! You have a FWD Deville, with the Northstar engine. A lot different than the RWD cars that we deal with here. I do know that the Northstars are very prone to bad headgaskets, but before I worry you, you should post your question in the FWD section where the members there will be able to give you better advice.

Jason.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 130.*** miles
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Northstars have a purge line which sometimes get clogged resulting in overheating. The folks from the right forum will give you directions. When the coolant is cold, open up the reservoir and check for smell of exhaust gases. If any, the headgaskets are probably gone. An expensive repair involving removal of the engine and helicoiling (timeserting) of the block. A $3,500 repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts