Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
"05" CTS V
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an "05" and when i get into the garage i can smell coolant. I have checked that motor over and can't find any signs of a leek. I have only had the car for a few months so i dont know if this is normal for the LS6 or if I'm just lucky. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
E85 Powered - Maggie'd V
1,747 Posts
I'm going to say radiator. They are prone and common to leaking on the V. While might not be a puddle, could be just enough drip to produce smell.

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
I'm going to say radiator. They are prone and common to leaking on the V. While might not be a puddle, could be just enough drip to produce smell.
Yep that. They leak around the crimp connection on the bottom mostly. You won't be able to see any coolant as it just dries up but will smell it and have to top off every once in a while.

Around $250+ for an OEM replacement or get yourself a Ron Davis and never replace again albeit at a large price tag. (I have had my OEM replacement in for over 15k without any leaking).

·
Registered
"05" CTS V
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will check the radiator. I was hoping that it wasn't something serious, like the block!

·
Registered
04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq
1,786 Posts
Also some have gotten lucky with a leaky coolant reservoir cap. Check that as well although radiator is likely the culprit.

·
Registered
Cadillac
402 Posts
if not those items then the water pump. good way to tell is if there is no fluid on the ground and yet you still need to add coolant every two weeks

·
Registered
'05 Platinum V - SOLD
393 Posts
same prob on my '05... was also getting low coolant warning every few mos or so, but not radiator, H2O pump, cap, etc, but the polished stainless inlet lines running underneather throttle body... disconnect air inlet at TB, and look on top of H2O pump for stains... probably have to slide skinny rubber hose further onto that line and make sure clamp is tight.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
57 Posts
I have a leak on the rad and pump. Its a sweet smell, whats so bad about it? If you don't have to fill up too often, you'll be fine. your DIC tells you when your coolant is low if you don't get under the hood too often. Buy a custom radiator like Darkman. I want to do it as well.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
897 Posts
You can get an OEM replacement rad for much less than $250. I think they're about $160 on Rockauto.com. There's something about plugging or disconnecting an outlet for an automatic transmission with these rads, but besides that, they have a lifetime warranty and should be a pretty safe bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts