Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't driven my '94 STS in 4 days, letting it rest while i wait for my appointment at the dealership tomorrow morning. pop the hood this evening to check the coolant level just for a spur of the moment type of thing

and this is what i find:

coolant sitting underneath the overflow hose, and when i take the cap off, coolant has soaked the bottom of it.

about an inch of coolant is missing.

i look a little bit harder, and coolant is sitting on one of the belts. odd, because the overflow hose is cut & being held in a way that would not allow coolant to splatter onto this part of the car.

what the ****.

the car hasn't been driven in 4 days. how does this happen?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Probably happened after shut down. Have the cap checked to see if it holds the prescribed pressure (or replace it).

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it is 15psi and has always held well.

the dealership said, when i called, that it sounds like a bad waterpump.

what's up with that. can a cap go bad? like, the little gasket thing on the underside wears and/or something.

i'll ask them to test the cap first.

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
Yes, caps can go bad, though it is not common. Water pump is not high on my list. Clogged purge line maybe.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah. i have been removing/replacing it a lot lately, checking the coolant every day and such.

what do you suggest i request at the dealership?

test cap #1 of course

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
Wait a minute. When you say "an inch of coolant is missing", do you mean that there is an inch of air space left in the tank and it was filled to the top?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no

it had stayed a solid two inches down from the filler neck (that metal ring thingy) for almost 3 weeks now

it is an inch or so further from that exact spot now.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah :-D

would a waterpump going bad have anything at all to do with coolant coming out of the overflow hose ?

it must have been pressurized pretty high for it to leak out of the start of the overflow tube & soaking the bottom of the cap

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
When a water pump fails, it is usually the seal that fails and leaks. I have never heard of a pump that fails to pump. Check the tensioner to be sure the belt is not slipping. Check the purge line to be sure it is clear. Check the thermostat. Did you ever have an overheat warning of any kind?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope. all i can note is that my temp once hit 225 when i had it idling for 10 minutes w/ the hood popped a week or two ago.

other than that is has always stayed at 217 or less. 195-200 on the highway during full throttles and such. even with it being 95 degrees w/ 80% humidity here in south florida.

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
Well, I'd just keep an eye on it for a while and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
Not unless you still see coolant. Then you have to figure out why it is leaking. The only reason it would be on top of the tank around the cap is an overheat situation or a leaky cap.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well. coil packs 6 & 7 replaced (knew it? :-D). half-assed rough idle remains. :p

in regards to the coolant, all they could guess was that it had overflowed. but why would the coolant stay consistant for 3 weeks then decide to overflow one day. and even then, leak out of the entrance to theoverflow line >:-/. would that be a cause for concern? can a loose overflow hose do anything as to pressurization and such?

oh well. asked them to test the cap, make sure there weren't any clogs in the purgeline. also asked them to put in some stopleak tabs. my service guy assured me everything i requested had been taken care of, and no problems were found.

charged me 5 damn bucks for the tablets. LOL.

anyway, now the car is idling at a steady 223. weird.

from 217 to 223. :-/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts