Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days after getting my oil changed at a dealer I drove 300 miles to go home. About 150 miles in and stuck in traffic, I started smelling coolant bad. After a few minutes of getting worse I passed a disabled car with no signs of body damage. I thought Phew! glad it wasn't me. Was surprised by a low coolant warning this morning and attached a picture of the reservoir way below the cool line.

Which coolant should I use to refill? Dexcool? Or should I flush the whole system and switch back to green? The temp never goes above halfway and I don't see any white smoke or smell any coolant anymore. I obviously can't leave it that low.

Thoughts? Thank you!

----------

The mobile app keeps crashing when attaching but you can just envision an overflow tank less than half full with orange coolant in it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
659 Posts
Don't ever let your car go low on coolant. Ever.

Yes, use GM's Dexcool coolant for aluminum engines as it says in the manual. If I recall its like an orange color...
Either buy the 100% coolant and make a 50/50 mixture with distilled water, or buy the pre-mixed coolant.

And don't wait. If your cars super low on coolant, don't procrastinate, even if everything seems fine. Fill it back up before you drive another mile...and check for a coolant leak. You shouldn't just randomly run out of coolant.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the quick reply. Taking my wife's car to Pep Boys to pick up the 50/50 mix right now. I still don't know what could have happened to trigger blowing some off for a few minutes and then being fine for the rest of the trip.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L, Luxury Sport, Diamond White
659 Posts
EasternPA said:
Thanks very much for the quick reply. Taking my wife's car to Pep Boys to pick up the 50/50 mix right now. I still don't know what could have happened to trigger blowing some off for a few minutes and then being fine for the rest of the trip.

Thanks again I really appreciate it.
No problem! And hmm...I have no idea why that would happen. If there's no leak at all but it just randomly lost a lot, then there's not much explanation. Maybe the guys who did the oil change drained the coolant and refilled it improperly? I don't know, just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will. After refilling, I ran it for a little bit and moved the car to look for drips or leaks. Nothing. With my work and personal lives the way they are, I need to be able to get into my weekday car or my weekend car and drive up to 3,000 miles with zero notice, so blowing coolant about 150-170 miles after a dealer oil change was a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
'04 CTS
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, Sarah. It is very nice to see you participating in these forums! I haven't been around here in a while and your frequent participation is a nice new surprise!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts