Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 92 DeVille. Gonna take it to a buddy to get the radiator flushed and filled. I'm gonna go and pick up some coolant later on, but I'm curious as to what brands you guys recommend, and exactly how much should I buy?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Most any brand of green coolant is good. One gallon of coolant mixed 50/50 will equal 2 gallons and should be enough but check the owners manual to be sure. Don't forget to pick up some cooling system suppliment (sealnt tabs).

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood S&S Funeral Coack
49 Posts
Ranger said:
Most any brand of green coolant is good. One gallon of coolant mixed 50/50 will equal 2 gallons and should be enough but check the owners manual to be sure. Don't forget to pick up some cooling system suppliment (sealnt tabs).
Bars Leaks has some of the anti-corrosives in it. The real fun is in what's in the patented Bar's Leaks powder. You've heard the tip about using finely ground pepper so it swells and fills small leaks? The BL powder is mostly crushed ginger, and has some powdered walnut shell in it! It works, so why ask?
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/msds/docs/wcd00007/wcd00731.htm

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
That is what the gm cooling system supplement tabs contain...ground ginger root. Never heard about ground pepper.

I would not suggest a flushing with tap water unless you feel the system is plugged. Tap water introduces harmful minerals into the system.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I did what you guys suggested. Here's the story. I take the car to the place where I was having the work done. So I am talking to the owner about a bunch of things, you know, how was business, their prices, etc. So then I go in the lobby and sit and chill for a while. So the guy finally starts working on the car. I came out to watch more than halfway through the procedure, because I didn't know that he started working on it. Once I get out there, why did I see the guy using tap water? The look on my face had to have been priceless. By then it was already too late. I was MAD! So then I just go back and sit down and watch CNN, seething. At least now I know how to do that job myself, so that I won't have people using tap water and stuff. I didn't realize how simple it was. Besides that, everything is cool, and the car is running great. I'll just have to take extra extra care of the car now. Thanks guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts