Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
No video that I know of. Did you read the write up in Tech Tips?

How mechanical and how persistent are you? Are you willing to get all the tools? It's a long process but not that hard. Not something I would trust to a guy who drinks much. Too many details.

·
Super Moderator
86,165 Posts
The best and only manual is the factory service manual by Helm Inc. Even with that, you'd better be there to be sure he's not drinking. I'd be leary of a guy that forgot to put in the oil after an oil change.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Iluvmycady69 said:
I refuse to waste more money on my car, I love the car but i have wasted so much money on it its not even funny, first it was the transmission,then all the coolant parts (water pump,term,etc) and some more stuff.......can you guys tell me about a manual that actually shows me how to do this step by step and with some pics? (the head gasket job) a video might even be better i will pay for that. I have a mechanin that charges me cheap every time who wants to do the head gasket job but i dont trust him much because he likes gettin drunk while workin,last time he changed my oil he was so drunk he forgot to put the new oil i bougth in!! I almost kicked his ass, but yeah he is a good mechanic (when he is not drunk)but the headgasket jpb seems like a delicate job for him even thou he has told me not to worry that he knows how to doit.......Well i will keep you guys updated on what I do with my car any info will be greatly appretiated.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck - maybe the previous owner didn't take good care of the car, which is a shame. I recently developed a minor headgasket leak and used thermaseal on it. So far it's working for me. Here is a link to the thread if you want to follow it or read up: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54659. I don't know if it will be a good long term solution or not, but I figured it was worth $100 to possibly save $3,500. If it doesn't work, then I've done a service to the folks on the board by trying it and documenting.

I wouldn't give up on your car yet. If you've put money into it, then it doesn't make much sense to pass all your hard work, aggravation and investment in parts/labor on to someone else does it? Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would consider cutting your losses and dumping it. When these get to be around 10 years old with 100,000 miles, (or before in many cases) it's one thing after another. Once the headgasket is fixed, what's next? Power window motors, transmission solenoids, A/C compresssors, pulley bearings, struts,....the list goes on and on. Again, any one of these items by itself is no big deal, especially if you put your own time and labor into fixing it, but the constant wrench turning to keep one of these beasts on the road gets old after awhile, not to mention the inconvenience. There are many more reliable alternatives out there.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
blb said:
I would consider cutting your losses and dumping it. When these get to be around 10 years old with 100,000 miles, (or before in many cases) it's one thing after another. Once the headgasket is fixed, what's next? Power window motors, transmission solenoids, A/C compresssors, pulley bearings, struts,....the list goes on and on. Again, any one of these items by itself is no big deal, especially if you put your own time and labor into fixing it, but the constant wrench turning to keep one of these beasts on the road gets old after awhile, not to mention the inconvenience. There are many more reliable alternatives out there.
Wow, sounds like sombody's Prozac prescription ran out. Hey blb, how many Northstars do you suppose are out there running with no problems at all? Why don't those people come in here and tell us how well their cars are running? People come here to complain. Some more loudly than others, as in your case. If you base your opinion on what you read here, you are seriously misguided. Along the same line, how many people have had the cascade of problems you outlined? I would guess that's a very small number also, because there is scant evidence of it that I can see.

If you bought a Corolla and had zero problems with it in 500,000 miles, would you go to Toyota Forums and post "Corollas are the best cars in the universe!!!" No, you would probably post "What were those idiots thinking? The trunk is too small!" Some people just can't see the bright side I guess...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
mcowden said:
.......... People come here to complain...........
True indeed...most folks 'reluctantly' become forum members when they are forced to ask a questions regarding a problem they are having.....then some members decide to hang around, then start posting useless morsels of information in the lounge.... 'cough' 'cough' :)

My 98 with 98k miles is running strong!

Original engine and tranny. Haven't had to do any major repairs since I bought mine 2 years and 34k miles ago. (knock on wood)
Its been a reliable companion!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
173 Posts
mcowden said:
Wow, sounds like sombody's Prozac prescription ran out. Hey blb, how many Northstars do you suppose are out there running with no problems at all? Why don't those people come in here and tell us how well their cars are running? People come here to complain. Some more loudly than others, as in your case. If you base your opinion on what you read here, you are seriously misguided. Along the same line, how many people have had the cascade of problems you outlined? I would guess that's a very small number also, because there is scant evidence of it that I can see.

If you bought a Corolla and had zero problems with it in 500,000 miles, would you go to Toyota Forums and post "Corollas are the best cars in the universe!!!" No, you would probably post "What were those idiots thinking? The trunk is too small!" Some people just can't see the bright side I guess...
mcowden....my comments are based on personal experiences, experiences of acquaintences, and the everyday experiences of a long time Cadillac Technician who works at one of suburban Philadelphia's largest Cadillac dealerships. Just because these experiences differ from your perceptions, this doesn't give you the right to suggest I am on drugs. These types of comments do nothing to boost your credibility, nor do they lend any advice to the thread originator or add to the thread in a constructive manner.

·
1,164 Posts
blb said:
mcowden....my comments are based on personal experiences, experiences of acquaintences, and the everyday experiences of a long time Cadillac Technician who works at one of suburban Philadelphia's largest Cadillac dealerships. Just because these experiences differ from your perceptions, this doesn't give you the right to suggest I am on drugs. These types of comments do nothing to boost your credibility, nor do they lend any advice to the thread originator or add to the thread in a constructive manner.
The experiences of a long time Cadillac tech as they pertain to the rate of problems with Northstars are more useless than a 3 dollar bill. They certainly don't reflect anything close to reality. Again, who goes to a "long time Cadillac Technician" and says, "hey man, my Cadillac runs perfectly, thanks!" They see only problems, and so they start to believe every one has problems.

I am not interested in "boosting my credibility," but I might suggest you do something to boost that of your sources. I firmly believe that the vast majority of these cars never have the kinds of problems you mentioned, and I am sorry that you had problems with yours. I sincerely hope your next car will be as reliable as you expect it to be.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yeah I think there's this percieved lack of reliability in these cars that exceed current facts. Its probably left over 'feelings' from back in the 80's when caddies really made some crappy cars.
This works great for us used caddy buyers!

On the flip side, Mercedes continues to ride its no-longer-deserved reputation of high quality/well built machines.....in fact current facts prove them to be highly unreliable cars.

All in all, its always gonna be a gamble when buying a 10 year old machine. All things considered, I think my car is still pretty good bargain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
mcowden said:
The experiences of a long time Cadillac tech as they pertain to the rate of problems with Northstars are more useless than a 3 dollar bill. They certainly don't reflect anything close to reality. Again, who goes to a "long time Cadillac Technician" and says, "hey man, my Cadillac runs perfectly, thanks!" They see only problems, and so they start to believe every one has problems.
The long time Cadillac Technician will likely repair and service many more Northstars in a week, than you will in a lifetime. Not all are in the shop for repairs, many are in for routine maintenance. This gives the technician the unique ability to see how many cars are in for constant repairs and how many are in for only routine maintenance, some spanning more than one owner. I can't think of a better source. If you can, please elaborate. We are all anxious to here why you are so sure you are right.

mcowden said:
I am not interested in "boosting my credibility," but I might suggest you do something to boost that of your sources. I firmly believe that the vast majority of these cars never have the kinds of problems you mentioned, and I am sorry that you had problems with yours. I sincerely hope your next car will be as reliable as you expect it to be.
Just because you "firmly believe" does not make it necessarily so.

Back to the thread......I'm just advising the thread originator to think twice before sinking more money into his car on repairs than it is worth.
This is sound advice no matter what brand of vehicle we are talking about. If he goes ahead and pays for the repair, I wish him luck and I hope he reports back from time to time to report if in fact it turns out to be a wise decision. These types of real life experiences are what will help to separate the myths from the facts.

·
1,164 Posts
blb said:
The long time Cadillac Technician will likely repair and service many more Northstars in a week, than you will in a lifetime. Not all are in the shop for repairs, many are in for routine maintenance. This gives the technician the unique ability to see how many cars are in for constant repairs and how many are in for only routine maintenance, some spanning more than one owner. I can't think of a better source. If you can, please elaborate. We are all anxious to here why you are so sure you are right.
I can understand why it's easy to believe a technician. The thing the technician doesn't know anything about is how many of these cars are on the road with no problems versus how many have problems. They don't keep records of these things. They are technicians, not statisticians, and that's why their beliefs are not qualified.

I won't keep this going any longer, and thanks for debating the issue in a civil manner. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
mcowden said:
I can understand why it's easy to believe a technician. The thing the technician doesn't know anything about is how many of these cars are on the road with no problems versus how many have problems. They don't keep records of these things. They are technicians, not statisticians, and that's why their beliefs are not qualified.
I won't keep this going any longer, and thanks for debating the issue in a civil manner. :thumbsup:
I certainly agree that accurate statistics would be of great benefit, but I haven't been able to find any. (Although, as I'm sure you are aware, sometimes the interpretation of statistics is an art in of itself). It would be great information to have availale when faced with the decision on whether to roll the dice on an expensive repair.

Iluvmycady69........let us know what you decided to do and how things are progressing.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts