Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Coupe DeVille
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read about these pellets that Cadillac 4.1s are supposed to have added into the coolant. I went into ABC auto and told the woman what i was lookin for and she slapped these down on the counter. Is this the correct thing? i went ahead and got em since they are only 3 bucks but they just look kinda big. If they are the right kind should i put them all in there at once?
pellets.JPG

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yup, that's them. But they're no longer used or recommended by GM. They tend to clog small coolant passages. For the 4.x, they were in there to address possible porosity issues. The engines been fine all this time, any porosity has long since been "clogged" by the pellets that were in there when new. Just drain and fill with coolant.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
They were crushed with a small hammer to turn them to power in the package, then poured into the engine. As stated above, these were never intended to be a semi annual thing. GM did this to lessen warranty claims for block casting porosity issues. Just drain and refill every 2 years at a minimum.

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
571 Posts
Yes, those are them. I asked my parts guy and he said to use all of them. They used to have #1 somewhere on them, maybe on the back, which made sense, one was to use the whole package, ie. #5 would mean use one tablet. My water pump would fail otherwise. Had one shop that I was bringing all my cars to that said, after bringing it back in for failed water pump under warranty, that it was the item behind the water pump that failed, and that they needed to charge me. I asked for the old part back. They took a few days, and quietly gave me back the car without charging me. Once I put a package in, I no longer had failing water pumps, although the coolant looked almost like mud.

I was lazy, (to be honest,) and just shoved them one by one into the opening in the radiator. (I know I know, I risked clogging a passageway doing so....) Still have the mortar and pestle that I purchased specifically to crush the pellets, but got lazy to use...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,830 Posts
Of course, you could have saved yourself the crush process - Bar's Leaks tablets #HDC is the same product as the powder, G12BP.

........... and if the cooling system has no tiny nuisance weeps you don't need to use either product. Read the GM TSB on the subject.

http://barsleaks.com/our-products/?category=cooling-system-2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts