Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Caddy is down for the moment. On my drive to school, the temp gauge started rising, and then kept rising, and continued on until it buried!! The ac compresser disengaged to protect the motor, warning lights came on, car told me to idle it. I pulled off, popped the hood, to find the motor wasn't even all the way warmed up. But, I had coolant dripping down onto the right axle, was splashed on both rt tires, and a puddle rapidly forming. I think I saw one of the hoses leaking, but couldn't tell from that angle. When I get home, I'll probably get under the car and look. So, any advice on what I should do before and after the repairs (which I will be doing myself) Any kinds of bleeding of the coolant system, etc?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Usually there isnt much to do for bleeding the coolant system, except to keep filling until its full..... youll probably see foam in the coolant, which is just air... Let the bubbles go away and then keep filling...... Usually this is easier with the Tstat OUT......

You said it wasnt fully warmed up, but the engine was overheating according to the guage..... That doesnt make any sense......

Also, if you find its a hose thats leaking, I would advise to replace ALL hoses while your at it..... Dont want this to happen again!!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
So you checked something on the on board computer?? Something that indicated that the coolant level was too high, when in fact you were LOSING coolant??? I guess Im having a hard time understanding, as this seems very contradictory......

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, sequence of events. Driving down the road... at 100 mph. I notice the temp gauge making a rapid climb, so I let off the gas and begin coasting. The temp gauge continues, and the DIC displays "AC cut off for enginre protection" "Engine coolant temp high" "Idle engine" All in very rapid succession, and the engine temp gauge is now buried in the red. I pull off the road, pop the hood, shut the car off, etc. I see my passenger tires are wet. I know I hit no puddles. Looking in the engine, next to the pulleys on the pass side, and down below, I see a fluid dripping down onto my axle. Look under, it's red fluid, dripping at a high rate. On the pass side is some red fluid as well. I start to feel the motor, to see if the motor truly is hot. I touch the manifold, it's still only mildly warmer than outside air. Airbox is still only warm. I hold my hand over the front head. Feeling some heat, but not even to the degree I normally feel under optimum temp. So, feelin gutsy, I gently tap it, and eventually press my hand to it. Hot to my skin, but not dangerously hot or anything. Not a overheated motor, or even hardly warmed up motor.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Ok.... Gotcha!!!!! :thumbsup:

It appears as if the computer detects when coolant is low that it assumes its overheating...... And then adjusts accordingly.....

Id check <obviously> your hoses...... Then, your temperature sensors, and Tstat (although it doesnt seem if its bad, but Id repalce it anyway, its cheap).....

I assume Dex-Cool is red.....

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Have you started the diagnosis?? Id be interested to see what happened..... And how.....

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok, I jacked her up, and found this one hose, not connected to anything. When I load more water in, and leave this in it's original place, the water poured through.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Curses..... I guess you can resize them and put them in the photopost for the time being.......

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
That looks like the overflow tube. It comes off right at the radiator cap. If the engine overheats or overpressurizes the antifreeze gets blown out towards the ground.It shouldn't come out of that normally, the radiator cap covers that but the spring on the cap can be forced up by pressure and let antifreeze out.

Several things can cause it. Worst would be blown head gasket, then bad thermostat, bad cap.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, drove it again, and have learned a few more things. 1, it's not a head gasket. The motor itself isn't leaking, the fluid is coming from under the resevoir, so I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the return line from the radiator.

The car holds its water under normal, gentle driving, for the most part. When I stomp the gas, it bleeds out badly. It is definately coming from somewhere below the resevoir. So, I need to figure out what's under there.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The head gasket is part of the physical motor, is it not? This fluid is coming from a spot distinctly not connected to the motor.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
That hose is directly connected to the engine.
It is at one end of the cooling system and it is a continuous system.
If you have a leaking head gasket you have a source of pressure into the cooling system. The antifreeze will come out at the point of least resistance which is the overflow tube.
The antifreeze coming out under load is a pretty strong indicator of a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
It might just be a loose hose clamp or a broken hose.....

Im sure youve done all the tests to see if the headgasket is bad already, right?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts